Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Golden Guernsey / Hopefully soon to be new goat keeper  (Read 2708 times)

BigglyBel

• Joined Oct 2015
Golden Guernsey / Hopefully soon to be new goat keeper
« on: October 16, 2015, 12:26:44 pm »
Hello everyone,

My first post here.

I have been interested in goats a long time but it is not until now that we've been in a position to have a couple. We would love to keep a couple of doe goats as pets and for milk.

We've recently 2 years ago moved to a plot of about 3/4 of an acre with large outbuildings, a hardstanding yard and a grassed area. There are loads of mature trees and shrubs of safe species for cutting browse for them. I already forage for the rabbits which are fed a natural diet as much as possible. We are also looking into purchasing a couple of acres of woodland neighbouring our property which we would fence and put a shelter in to allow them to browse parts of it at a time when appropriate for the woodland and the goats. We are yet to build their shelter, yard and paddock but will do whatever is necessary here to keep them comfortable and safe and secure.

We've settled on the Golden Guernsey as our preferred breed because of their reputed friendly natures, smaller size, decent milk production and well they are beautiful too!

I've done decent amount of research, read loads on Internet forums, books etc. I'm hoping to meet some goatkeepers now to learn some more. I haven't kept goats before but have kept dogs, rabbits and birds, so have animal husbandry experience though not specific to goats.

We are hoping to be able to acquire some doe goats next summer /autumn, as kids so that I can learn to look after them, get comfortable with them before getting into the kidding/milking aspect.

I know GGs are a rare breed so we are prepared to wait and travel for the right goats. We are in the Scottish Borders.

Is there anyone on the forum who could point me in the right direction of people to speak to in looking for GGs?

Also any guidance from anyone as to where to go from here would be very welcome.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 12:31:47 am by BigglyBel »

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
Re: Golden Guernsey / Hopefully soon to be new goat keeper
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 03:05:51 pm »
Welcome to the forum and to hopefully soon the world of goat keeping.
I've got a couple of golden guernseys among other goats and they are lovely.

I'm in Wales so too far for you to visit unfortunately.
The golden guernsey breed society will be a good place to start.  Find some breeders in your area and make contact now and you might be able to book some goats to buy next year.  It's probably a good idea to get a couple of young ones maybe with kids at foot so at least someone knows whats going on rather than getting straight into kidding.

Good luck with your search.

BigglyBel

• Joined Oct 2015
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 04:49:56 pm »
Thanks for that. I will get in touch with the society.

Although I initially thought it would be best to ease into it with kids, I can see how young adults might be easier to start with, and also role models for the kids rather than getting just kids with no adult to learn how to be goats from too.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 04:57:37 pm by BigglyBel »

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 07:05:59 pm »
[member=3211]Anke[/member] Might be near you and breeds GGs so could give you advice
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 12:04:26 am »
You're making a good decision there. Goats are lovely animals and such fun to keep. I have Saanens but it's all a matter of taste.

Glad to see you've been doing your research. I'm afraid I am too far south for you to visit otherwise I would have been delighted to introduce you to my girls.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 11:31:36 am »
we have a couple of GG girls and they are adorable called Missy & Maisy but we are in the far North Highlands so maybe too far away for you to visit (unless you happen to be doing the NC 500)
But can certainly vouch for their lovely nature, lovely milk and they have cutest kids and are fantastic mums  :thumbsup:
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

BigglyBel

• Joined Oct 2015
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2015, 11:44:47 am »
Thank everyone for the advice and kind offers. I am a bit far to visit u, but pretty close to Anke, so will take up her kind offer to visit :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS