Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bloat questions  (Read 2314 times)

Melony

• Joined Oct 2015
Bloat questions
« on: October 14, 2015, 11:19:07 pm »
I  really hope that someone can give me some answers? I am  new to goats. We have alpacas, sheep, pigs and hens.Today my 4 yr wether died. 5 days ago he broke into our poultry area and helped himself to their growers feed. I did not realise this would kill him! Yesterday I knew he was not right,diagnosed bloat, tried bicarb and mineral oil. This morning got him to the vet early, they tubed him and put him on a drip. 3 hours later he was gone. I am very aware that this is my fault entirely. We had only had him 3 weeks. Words cannot describe how dreadful I feel but I need to know:
1. If I had got him to the vet the day he ate the food, is it possible that they would have saved him?
2. Is it possible that when I bought him he had a degree of bloat. He and the nanny that came with him were both very "round". The woman who sold them to me just kept saying they were fat and needed to loose weight. What bothers me is that the female lost a noticeable amount of weight within the first 5 days. We put this down to them taking more exercise, as they had more room and were curious, and that they just didn't seem to be eating very well, but I think that is hard to monitor isn't it?
Any advice would be welcome, but I know it's too late really!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Bloat questions
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 09:51:46 am »
Once they have eaten a significant amount of poultry food (or an excess of anything else for that matter, even "normal" goat/sheep concentrates) bloat is often fatal. However chicken pellets are for some reason completely irresistible to ruminants - goats and sheep. Therefore ALL feed bins should be clamped shut, so that they cannot be opened by an inquisitive goat (or sheep).

If you bring new goats onto your holding it is always better to continue their old feeding regime for a wee while and only gradually move them onto yours. Sudden changes are bad, as their rumen has to adjust to new food slowly to allow the bacteria in there to get used to it.

If these goats have been fed a high-concentrate diet and maybe have a history of bloat they will more easily get it again and again. However the seller would have been unlikely to disclose this to you....

You can easily monitor how much hard feed/concentrate your goats eat, good quality hay on its own will not cause bloat and they cannot over-eat on it, same really for (dry) branches. Careful with wet grass first thing in the morning, need to make sure that they have a belly full of hay before they go out and if wet limit their time outside.

Regarding your question - if the vet could have saved him if treated on day 1 - maybe yes maybe no. No way of knowing. But he may have been able to treat him for acidosis by IV drip quickly, but the food would still have to go through his system, as goats won't normally be sick (and if they are they have most likely eaten deadly poisonous rhododendron).

A "dry" adult goat (or an adult wether) needs only very little concentrate, it could be argued wethers don't need any hard feed at all.

Melony

• Joined Oct 2015
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 07:36:48 pm »
Thank you Anke for your reply. You have certainly filled in some gaps in what I knew.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 07:46:35 pm »
Sorry to hear about your horrible start to goatkeeping.

Goats can have round bellies after a good feast of say hedge browse but still be thin goats so belly size isn't really a good judge of condition.  Feel their backs as with sheep.

Where abouts are you?  Is there a local goat keeper you can visit to see their set-up?
Presumably you've now got a lone goat which isn't ideal.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 08:04:57 pm »
It's unfortunate don't beat yourself up about though you were unlucky for to find out the hard way so quickly.  Feed bins that are fine with sheep, alpacas and (usually) horses are not goat proof. They can get into anything and many of us have got away with a near miss when it comes to chicken feed and goats.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2015, 12:16:22 am »
I had a goat who often got into the hen food but, fortunately, I was always able to drag her out before she could get more than a mouthful. I soon learned to keep the door to the feed store firmly shut.

I was lucky. You were unlucky. You will learn from this.  :hug:

Calvadnack

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2015, 06:18:56 pm »
We've all had "what ifs" and "if only" over the years keeping animals often when there was nothing that could be done really. But we all care and will always feel responsible.  So sorry for you, but do find a local goat mentor as they are lovely people and I still call mine!

Melony

• Joined Oct 2015
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 09:35:21 am »
Thanks all. Today we are taking my girl to a nice new home! She is to live with another goat who is also on his own. I really hope that this works out for her,as I think it is best. But if they don't get on I have agreed to have her back, and will adjust our smallholding arrangements to suit her. I am so sorry to loose her, but I think all animals should have some of their own company.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS