Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: EGGS CLEAR OFF EBAY !!  (Read 7425 times)

NorthWestPoultry.co.uk

• Joined Mar 2010
  • cumbria
  • www.northwestpoultry.co.uk
    • www. North West Poultry .co.uk
EGGS CLEAR OFF EBAY !!
« on: April 05, 2010, 12:44:34 pm »
why is it when you buy eggs off ebay you get so many clear eggs i sell eggs on ebay myself and people write back saying they get good results
so why is it when i buy theam off others i always get alot of clears others sellors try to fob you off on there listing saying once they have been threw the post fertiallty drops well this is rubbish beacuse its hatchabilty that drops not fertiallty they should still be fertile so there must sending old eggs or  there cocks are not up to the job!!!
Owner of North West Poultry
suppliers of rare breed day-old chicks and hatching eggs

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: EGGS CLEAR OFF EBAY !!
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 12:51:45 pm »
I have bought eggs off e bay 4 times and never had any problems with the hatching rate.

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 02:47:04 pm »
i bought a dozen aylesbury's from ebay and only 1 was clear........nervously waiting for at least some of the remaining 11 to hatch as i type!!!

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 03:01:03 pm »
There are people on ebay that are in it for the money.

I never buy any from people that use those bloody polyboxes, which are totally unsuitable to send such a delicate thing as an egg containing an embryo.
It's a fast cheap way of posting eggs and blameing the postal service for empty eggs.

Last year I bought 2 lots of 6 Cochin large fowl from supposedly top breeders of Cochin in the UK.These were not cheap eggs and I hatched 1 from each batch...both cockerels. (£36 per bird).

I spend half an hour packing a dozen when I send eggs and get very good hatch rates..Last year I got 100% on Exchequer Leghorns...11 pullets and 1 cockerel ;D
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

whitby_sam

• Joined Feb 2008
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 03:18:05 pm »
How do you recommend packaging them? I thought Poly boxes were a good idea, the best of a lot of bad options if you like...
I have some eggs advertised at the moment and if/when I sell them I intended to use poly boxes but if there's a better method I'd prefer to use that. I don't mind taking a bit more time and care if it'll improve my customers' experiences.

I've ordered duck eggs from Ebay and they've arrived in Poly Boxes. Only 5 from 18 hatched but I put that down to the time of year. I've since had a dozen replacements and I'm waiting patiently for them to hatch in Incubator number 2. I never even considered that the problem may be down to the poly boxes.

QWOLF

• Joined May 2009
  • DOLLAR
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 03:41:19 pm »
hi all

i have bought 48 eggs from ebay and my succes rate is 50% which is not bad i think in the scheme of things, now though i would always go to someone i know who breeds and pick up myself, i can tell u i bought at lanark market 12 welsummer eggs from 1 lady who was very nice and informed about her eggs and bought 12 welsummer from unknown seller, i can tell u 9 clear from unknown seller + 1 dubious, 12 out of 12 fertile from lady. ? make of that what u will:).
Currently haved 3 x 5 months old peking bantams,2 x isa brown, 1 x welsummer and 5 welsummer chicks and thats me at my full quota, their great fun and i think everybody should keep a couple of chooks as there great and the eggs are a bonus  LOL

bamford6

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 05:18:59 pm »
there are people that are at it i bought 4 lots off chocklate orpington av price 40 pound when i paid to have some 1 look at them .they had alredey been in the incubater . i do sell eggs iff some 1 is not happey i send them some more

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 07:05:25 pm »
Well I'm on day 20 with mine and in terms of fertility I've got 100% from 1 seller 80% from another and only 1 egg fertile from another. All came in polyboxes so I think it's down to the eggs just not being any good withthose that were clear.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 07:34:41 pm »
im tending to agree.

smiffy

• Joined Jun 2008
    • http://www.northmoor-rarebreeds.com/
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 08:28:05 pm »
we send in polyboxes and most of the time its ok, however if you candle and roll the egg, the whole insides turn, i think these eggs have been shaken too much.

but then there is the cheats from the other side, you send out eggs and constantly get emails saying fertility is good, then out of the blue someone kicks off saying none are fertile eggs are crap....what do you do??? We always replace if the buyer covers the postage, but it does make you wonder........

we incubate contantly through the season to check fertility, this at least lets you know if the cock bird is working

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010, 09:11:52 pm »
yes there are always chancers. we have had only had one lot never arrive. i do let the vendor know the hatch rate as it is a good guide to how they are travelling. i do get unimpressed with those that  want feedbacl on only postage. these are living things the end result should just as important as if the egg shell is intact.

yes its not there fault if the post scrambles them. but we have had only had one broken in two years. its nice when the vendor offers to replace the failed batches. this has happened twice and both times i have turned the offer down because they were bothered and i was not after a freebe. however those that dont care don't get my custom again.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 11:56:17 am »
You're buying a pig in a poke if you buy hatching eggs, whether from E Bay or your local poultry market. Most folk are genuine and the eggs will be fertile but what's to stop anyone from selling eggs from hens who have never seen a cockerel?

chickenfeed

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010, 12:30:31 pm »
 :chook:our local auction has now addopted a new rule vendor numbers on all hatching eggs complaint about fertility and the vendors phone number is given to the buyer if this is stil not resolved 3 complaints and you can no longer sell eggs at the auction, guess what fertility rates have gone from very bad to very good strange that ;)

loopy

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2010, 12:34:16 pm »
Hi Chickenfeed

Which auction do you go to round here?  When are they?

thanks L

NorthWestPoultry.co.uk

• Joined Mar 2010
  • cumbria
  • www.northwestpoultry.co.uk
    • www. North West Poultry .co.uk
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2010, 08:47:59 pm »
hey bamford who was it on ebay you bought the choc eggs from  that had been in the incubator ??
Owner of North West Poultry
suppliers of rare breed day-old chicks and hatching eggs

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS