Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Poultry, waterfowl and pig sale Lanark  (Read 8557 times)

HappyHippy

Poultry, waterfowl and pig sale Lanark
« on: April 05, 2010, 09:56:28 am »
Hi everyone,
Just to let you know there's a sale at Lanark on 22nd April, 10.30am start.
http://www.lawrie-and-symington.com/html/sales/lanark.php
I'm definately going to this one (having missed the last one) but just for a look - honest !  ;)
Anyone else thinking of going ?

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
Re: Poultry, waterfowl and pig sale Lanark
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 11:49:11 am »
I do that Happy Perkins Mawer have a thing they call the Agricultural Vintage Sale Its full of all sorts of rammel and junk Other than the good machinery and tractors things fetch no money at all There is every thing.Corrugated zinc sheets fence post and sawn wood sheep nets pig troughs nails and screws nuts and bolts I go with the intention of meeting pals and end up with a load of" NOW THAT MIGHT JUST COME IN SOME TIME I'LL HAVE THAT IT'S ONLY A COUPLE OF QUID"Its some time ago now but I bought two of those pig troughs thats circular and made of cast iron £2 each I mean to say I can't resist can you? ??? ;D ;D
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 01:30:18 pm »
Nope Wizard - I can't resist either  ;D
Which is precisely why there will be a cat carrying basket and a couple of stout cages in the back of the car when I go - just in case  ;) ;D ;D ;D

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 01:45:50 pm »
Don't think I'll be heading along, the problem I have with Lanark is that the sale is always on a Thursday, and it means a day off work. No chance I'd get it this month either!

Beth

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 02:45:45 pm »
i've never been to one of these, but i think i should go as part of my 'education'......dont you?

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 03:21:19 pm »
By Heck Beth aren't you lucky ;D You ought to go egglady there can be a lot of fun to be had especially if two people want the same magnificent cock He can fetch double his value.Which is why you don't nod your head or scratch your ear etc;You have it Madam and you weren't even bidding ??? ;D ;D :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 07:57:56 pm »
Why am I lucky??  ???

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 08:00:38 pm »
Well not being able to go you won't waste any cash on sumatz you will never use anyway me thinks ;D

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 08:12:53 pm »
Hey wizard Where is this sale that you waste your money at and how often is it held ?
sheila

Fergie

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 08:43:35 pm »
Which is why you don't nod your head or scratch your ear etc;You have it Madam and you weren't even bidding ??? ;D ;D :farmer:

Hi George,

while I know you meant it in jest, I wouldn't want to leave the impression that you might buy something in error at Lanark sales - they are very good at ensuring that you intend to bid.  Mind you, everyone can get carried away with bidding at times (it's my local market, and the general implement sale is this Thursday......)

John

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 08:44:36 am »
Hello John But of course but my word its dead easy to buy something you don't need int'it  ;D :farmer:

clumbaboy

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Gretna
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 09:01:17 am »
As I have to explain to OH there is never such a thing as you dont need it, you may need it in the future, hence garage and shed full of strange and unusual items!!
But have nearly built complete new chicken house and has not cost a thing.

HappyHippy

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2010, 05:06:11 pm »
Well, what a great day I had today  ;D
It's the first market I've been to since I was a kid, I was apprehensive about the chooks after hearing Annie and James mention wire cages and terrible conditions at a previous sale (though don't think it was Lanark) Happy to report that the cages had solid bottoms and shavings in - all the birds looked in great condition as did the pigs.
Unfortunately missed out on any chickens (mainly cos I was too interested in the pigs) but it's probably just as well - my run space is limited at the moment, but by the time the next sale comes round I'll have increased their run size and have no qualms about buying 3 or 4.
Then I missed out on the weaners I was after cos I was too busy petting a gorgeous large black sow  ::) I would have quite happily paid the £80 she sold for - but there was no way I'd have gotten her into the dog cage to get her home  ;)
So despite all my best intentions to go and spend lots of cash on lots of animals I came home with 2 quail chicks for the princely sum of £4 - another learning curve begins  ;D I'll no doubt be posting soon looking for advice lol! Hopefully they'll be laying by the time the meet comes round and I can bring some up for Annie to have with mayo  ;D

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2010, 05:11:23 pm »
Karen I hve only been at the one livestock auction and I had a great time. I have to admit I paid more than I should have but hey it meant I got what I wanted. Shame you missed out on your pig. I know nothing about Quails so hope you enjoy them.

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2010, 05:40:30 pm »
Well, what a great day I had today  ;D

Then I missed out on the weaners I was after cos I was too busy petting a gorgeous large black sow  ::) I would have quite happily paid the £80 she sold for - but there was no way I'd have gotten her into the dog cage to get her home  ;)

hey HH, how much were the weaners selling for?   (just planning my next/first trip to market!!!)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS