Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Worming pigs  (Read 14249 times)

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
Re: Worming pigs
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2010, 07:19:04 pm »
HM we never get bothered by fleas never gets warm here in fermanagh

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2010, 07:28:20 pm »
HM,

Given that you're not in England, Scotland or Wales you could try "Coopers spot on" for your fleas, also kills lice and works really well I hear.

Not licenced for pigs in the UK, but is in Ireland (where they have a more sensible licencing policy), and may well be for France.

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2010, 07:06:07 am »
Gavo, I am not sure whether I envy you the weather or not, on the one hand the lack of fleas - on the other I do love the sun.

Oaklands thanks for that will investigate further.  When desperate I have used the same one we use for the dogs. 

Minigris

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Sweden
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2010, 08:10:15 am »
Thanks for the info
Never heard of Coopers spot on( not in Holland or Sweden)....not available in Scandinavia, I think.
Up here it is the same....rules, rules and strict policy ??? We can't by this things without recipe from the vet.
Since 3 years we can buy frontline and some wormingpills at the pharmacy, but not in a petstore

@Hilarysmum
which do you use? Strongholds or Advocate vet ?
Hej då från Sverige,= greetzzz from Sweden
Monique

3 Flatcoated retrievers, 1 Irish shepherd, 1 Westy, 1 Mainecoon, 1 Housecat, 5 Ducks, 13 Chickens, 2 Pigs

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2010, 08:20:03 pm »
Hi I usually use panacur, but have had the injectable one which name I cannot remember, but I am sure one of the others will remind me.  I like panacur cos I dont have to stick a needle in the pig.

Elissian

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2010, 06:50:18 pm »
we use panamec injections as it covers all internal and external parasites and one jab is enough from weaning to slaughter. I agree pigs are a nightmare to inject but we use a slap vaccinator where the needle and syringe have a long tube between them so that they can run away from you and you still have time to inject the medicine. We have got a injecting gun where the bottle is mounted on the top as the slap vaccinator does not work well with a syringe. It's agreat peice of kit.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2010, 09:44:30 am »
I looked at those on line but at 155 £ its a lot of layout for the number of pigs.

WinslowPorker

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2010, 10:12:37 am »
Any tips where you get wormers from? i have found that you buy it by the 2.5kg bucket online but how many pigs will this do? we have 6 approx 60KG each?

banbh

• Joined Jan 2010
  • county galway
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2010, 03:59:29 pm »
just what I did.....

I injected the 2 with Ecomectin (Ivermectin generic). They were feeding and just gave a bit of a jump.
It cost €15.30, and there's enough for centuries. Does worming, lice and mange all in one go.

It says don't eat meat for 28 days after.

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2010, 05:51:05 pm »
With some of the injections once you have drawn the first dose you have to use the rest within 28 days.  Worth double checking the label.

Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2010, 05:52:20 pm »
Should have answered your question too Graeme.......I use the powder, Flubenol, and get that from the vet.

Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

WinslowPorker

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2010, 07:41:57 pm »
Thanks Julie, I have found our local farm supplies sells 2.5kg bucket of Panucur for £43+Vat, only thing is that is enough for 120 pigs apparently!!! seeing as i only have 6 may have to go back to the drawing board alothough another friend of ours has 2 pigs and they paid £30 from their vets just for the 2!! so as stupid as it sounds probably cheaper to buy a bucket, use what i need and chuck the rest!!

Elissian

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2010, 09:47:16 pm »
Hilary'smum i paid £3 for the slap vaccinator and £40 for the top loading injector, i thought it was worth the money as i've had bent needles or a sow run off with the needle still in her in the past ,this months jabs were so straight forward.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2010, 03:22:59 pm »
That is so cheap.  I saw the gun thing on the web at £155.00  Have given up trying to give Hil an injection.  Its oral or nothing these days. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS