Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Worming pigs  (Read 14252 times)

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
Worming pigs
« on: April 04, 2010, 09:54:22 pm »
Hi how often should I worm the pigs. They were wormed when I had them 2 months ago. Should they be done again soon?

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
Re: Worming pigs
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 11:59:10 pm »
Alot depends on your own point of view on chemical usage;some people worm routinely every 6 months others if and when a problem arises. It also depends upon whether the pigs are spending all their time in the one area or if they are regularly rotated onto fresh ground.

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 08:51:27 am »
I'm used to having to use wormers as have horses too so not against that and they're on the same ground. So every 6 months then is ok?

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 12:10:03 pm »
Yeah that should be fine .What type to you intend to use ? Oral/inj we only ever use oral; as pigs in general hate inj and ours seem to have a

special disgust of them. Us chasing pig round field in 3 ft mud lots of swearing at each other never mind the pig and the pig NOT getting inj;then pig

pen lots of people lots of swearing and finally inj given with vows of NEVER AGAIN. This was not for worming but antibiotic treatment.

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 12:27:39 pm »
Oral I think. I have no idea how to inject so best to give in their food I think.

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 06:13:15 pm »
It certainly makes for friendlier more trusting pigs we can do pretty much any work needs done with only a rub and a bucket of food .

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 06:58:17 pm »
My girls get do excited when I go in their pen now. Chasing around like puppies playing today:-) would hate to spoil that.

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 07:22:32 pm »
If you are doing them for meat, then as they were wormed when you got them, should be no need to redo, as they would be due about the time they go off, so I would not bother again.

If you are keeping, then I would worm every 6 months or so. It does depend on how wormy your ground is, and your view on chemical cure.  Wormers only kill any worms present, they are not a preventative.

We use Panacur you get one for pigs and cattle from the agricultural merchants, which is a pellet you just add to their feed - no jabs - and works very well.

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 07:31:00 pm »
Thanks oaklandpigs I'm keeping these 2 for breeding so I'll redo at 6 months. I use wormers for the horses so I have heard of panacur.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 07:31:43 am »
Hi we find worming pigs is easiest if the wormer is given in a jam sandwich.  It used to work for the horses too when we had them.

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 08:05:16 am »
I never thought of that. Top tip hm cheers

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 10:41:34 am »
Yes it works for most pigs but not all i have a couple of sows who will never take it like that only mixed in with their food.

Minigris

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Sweden
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010, 03:28:40 pm »
With what( which brand ) do you use on the pigs ?
Hej då från Sverige,= greetzzz from Sweden
Monique

3 Flatcoated retrievers, 1 Irish shepherd, 1 Westy, 1 Mainecoon, 1 Housecat, 5 Ducks, 13 Chickens, 2 Pigs

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2010, 05:10:02 pm »
We use panacur pellets easy to use and mix with their pelleted ration.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2010, 05:42:41 pm »
I like panacur too.  Wish they would invent one that does the same as the injected stuff, keeps the fleas away and kills the worms.  Been spraying all the pigs today ; as soon as it warms up the fleas start to multiply.  Think they came in with the new straw.  The boar thought it was a wonderful idea, and layed across the electric fence; which was off fortunately, to have a tummy tickle.  Then kept the sows away so I couldn't spray them, so that he could have their tummy rubs as well.  Bless him.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS