Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bull Wanted  (Read 3800 times)

daveh

• Joined Nov 2008
  • South Northamptonshire
Bull Wanted
« on: October 11, 2015, 10:47:56 am »
I'm looking for a Shetland bull for my four ladies. My preference would be to hire a suitable bull for the numbers involved but I would buy if that is the only route to go. I do have a cattle trailer so can collect but for the sake of the bull and me as the driver I would not want to the other of the country from here in Northamptonshire.

Can anyone help? You can find the details of me and my cows on the SCBA website.

Regards, David Hearmon

Factotum

• Joined Jun 2012
Re: Bull Wanted
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 01:10:13 pm »
We have a very nice young bull for sale - Blackmyre Edan. You can see his details on the SCBA website.

We're in Moray, which is quite a trek - but then there's always livestock hauliers going south from around here.

Sue.

daveh

• Joined Nov 2008
  • South Northamptonshire
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 07:05:12 pm »
Sue,

Do you have any pictures of Edan you could post?

I don't feel I could make a round trip to Moray myself but do you have any names of hauliers in your area that I could contact to see if the transport costs make this a viable proposition.

Regards, David

Factotum

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 09:08:22 pm »
Hi David,

There are some pictures of Edan on the SCBA martketplace - the contact will be Steve Richards (my OH).

We've not used a haulier before, local firms include Thomsons of Sauchen (01330 833 235), Ian Rogers of Keith (01542 882218) and WM Armstrong of Longtown (01228 791224). All of these firms are regulars at the marts up here and take livestock south.

Let me know if you would like some more pictures of Edan - the most recent ones show him on a muddy bit of field in June this year.

Regards,

Sue

daveh

• Joined Nov 2008
  • South Northamptonshire
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 04:42:09 pm »
Sue,

I contacted all three of those hauliers and none come as far south as Northamptonshire and none were prepared to quote for the job. One suggested that although they would not be interested they thought the cost would be at least £500. Ouch! I'm thinking that much as I may like Edan he will not be enjoying the company of some delightful ladies in Northamptonshire any time soon!

Regards, David

Factotum

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 05:34:48 pm »
That's a shame - I'm a bit shocked at the estimated price to come down your way and disappointed that they wouldn't consider the job - I expect it's too small for them.

I'm fairly sure Rosemary is sending a beastie to Wales at the end of the month, perhaps worth asking her how Clyde is getting down there.

Sue.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 06:22:06 pm »
I'm fairly sure Rosemary is sending a beastie to Wales at the end of the month, perhaps worth asking her how Clyde is getting down there.

The buyer isn't having much joy getting a haulier, so may end up bringing her own trailer up at the AGM.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS