Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Which butchery knives please?  (Read 3952 times)

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
Which butchery knives please?
« on: October 07, 2015, 09:42:11 am »
Hi,

I am having my first stab at making some sausage using some saddleback pork that my sister fattened.

I have been looking for some suitable butchery knives and wondered if anyone could recommend a good starter set. I dont need to bone the cuts that I have at the moment but I would also be interested in boning knives and saws etc for my lamb.

This is probably your department Clansman  :)

Andrew

• Joined Dec 2007
Re: Which butchery knives please?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 12:11:56 pm »
 I have always used victorinox knives both commercially as a butcher for 20 odd years and now for our own sheep, pigs and poultry. I would suggest that you buy a boning knive , a 10 inch steak knive and a 17.5 inch saw.
I noticed that  www.scobiesdirect.com sells them at a reasonable price.

SophieYorkshire

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 12:51:35 pm »
I have always used victorinox knives both commercially as a butcher for 20 odd years and now for our own sheep, pigs and poultry. I would suggest that you buy a boning knive , a 10 inch steak knive and a 17.5 inch saw.

Got ours from Scobies - they're great and well priced. Dont touch the sausage flavourings from there though - theyre rotten!

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 01:46:56 pm »
Those were the 3 knifes/saw that my butcher recommended as well and said they use: http://www.nisbets.co.uk/

I haven't checked it out yet, but need to buy some myself.
________
Caroline

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 02:57:14 pm »
That would be all you really need. You don't need a cleaver if you've got a saw. Victorinox or F.Dick are top quality knives. There are loads of places online but Scobies, Nisbets and Weschenfelder are good places to start.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 04:46:09 pm »
Thanks Andrew,

I didnt know victorinox still existed. Thanks all for the suppliers recommendations everyone.

I bought a sausage kit from amazon for my first attempt as the bewildering array of professional supplies left me a bit overwhelmed.

It contains 3 types of flavorings so I can see how I get on. I tried a few different sausages from local farm shops recently to check out the competition. They really were disappointing and one brand had a piece of gristle the size of a molar! The "yorkshire" flavour had more mace in it than you could shake a sausage at. Urgh!

The meat in all of them was nondescript and the colour was uninspiring. All good news for me cause even as a beginner I couldn't do much worse.

I have a Bowman mincer / sausage maker, anything else that I havent thought of?

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 05:03:13 pm »
Erm, I couldn't find Bowman Mincer online?

I did my first batch of sausage on Sunday, I bought a second hand mincer from a butchers so it was a decent and quick one and just used a manual sausage stuffer. The pork was obviously mine and the rest was from Weschenfelder, I tried the Farmhouse seasoning (thought I would try the packs before being adventurous and making my own).

They were AMAZING!!!  The only mistake I made was not soaking the casings long enough so they were a little tough, but I didn't care  :excited:

Good luck with yours  :thumbsup:
________
Caroline

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2015, 07:21:21 pm »
Oh well done Caroline!

my mincer is a German one Bomann. I got it from a smallholder who never used it. I used it to mince some lamb a few weeks ago but this will be my first bangers!

Do I need something to sharpen the knives?

wayfarer

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2015, 08:14:49 pm »
I have found that getting as small a saw as possible works much better for me as I am quite small.  The men who use the larger saws when I have done butchery days as a group managed fine but I really struggled wit the extra weight.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2015, 08:40:28 pm »
Yeah I was just thinking that when I looked at the boning knives on the web site. I need ladies sized kit  ;D

wayfarer

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2015, 08:46:52 pm »
I have found that a 15cm flexible boning knife and a  20cm steak knife both from Victorinox and a c15" saw by Bargoin have worked for me.  I can't remember where my OH got them from for me last Christmas but I do remember having to really hunt around for a small saw.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS