Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Stoped at the petrol station and left with some ducks  (Read 4726 times)

daniellestocks

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Nr Pickering, North Yorkshire
Stoped at the petrol station and left with some ducks
« on: March 27, 2010, 09:22:18 pm »
I stoped at the local petrol station for a bottle of cola, and saw a friend went over to say hi, he asked if i wanted 4 khaki campbells drakes coz he had some in his truck, very random!
Well of course i said ok with my change in my hand for my drink, he said how much you got there give us £2
He had been to the local monthly market and bid on them coz nobody seemed interested, he got them for £2 and was going to just turn them loose some were, so there now here in a pen awaiting there fate, of which im not sure of quite yet  ???
Wouldnt mind a female or 2 for 1 of them, and eat the other 3. They are fully grown and quite nice looking, also a bargin!!!  ;) ;D
Danielle

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: Stoped at the petrol station and left with some ducks
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 09:25:38 pm »
Wow talk about fate!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 09:49:37 pm »
KCs are egg layers mainly, not a lot of meat on them.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 10:25:24 pm »
That sounded a good bargain.

My friend and I still have a giggle about the day I called round at her house so she could cut my hair.  We had a coffee, and then she said I must go and look at her bantams - mother hen and two daughters.  I admired them and she said I must have them then. When I protested I had walked to her house, and had nothing to carry them in anyway, she produced a lidded basket, and put the basket of bantams and me in the car .......oh, and they were free, and were the ones which lived until their mid teens.

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 09:02:20 am »
Morning.Since you are talking about ducks.The owners of Cherry Valley Farms.The alleged largest duck farm in the world has been sold at for a undisclosed sum to a Dutch firm.The 600 employees will be retained.It was a little snippet in the local newspaper last week.I thought it might have made the important news section.I shall keep a ear on the ground to see what happens.Still haven't seen my pal to take me in to take a picture or 2 The sheds with the growers in are a smashing sight.Can you imagine thousands of duck in one shed?Tell you what on the very odd occasion they escape if a door comes left open.Can you imagine an army of them coming waddling down the road?Its a job for your Mother. ;D ;D :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 09:04:38 am »
Danielle - did you get your cola?

daniellestocks

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 01:26:00 pm »
lol, yes rosemary i did  :)
I had a friend which was on a line in the cherry valley factory, his job was chopping the heads off the ducks

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 01:38:59 pm »
Did you ever visit CVF Danielle If you didn't can you imagine one of those big Biffa Red Waste bins the sort that has a lid. Can you see it full of ducks feet? There is another one that holds the heads.They were sealed and shipped to China.Big business was the feathers.They have a special unit that sorts and bales feathers. :D :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 05:15:12 pm »
Waste not, want not.

Lavinia

• Joined Nov 2009
  • Midlothian
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 07:34:49 pm »
Hi Danielle

What a shame that you are so far away, I'm in midlothian and i hatched some khaki's and have loads of females....... first batch of 10 didin't have a male in them.

Lavinia
Lavinia

whitby_sam

• Joined Feb 2008
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 11:43:30 am »
I'm in Whitby and have some Khaki campbells in my incubator. If I have a surplus of females I'll get in touch...

daniellestocks

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2010, 07:07:55 pm »
I'm in Whitby and have some Khaki campbells in my incubator. If I have a surplus of females I'll get in touch...
That would be super, and not to far away either, thanks Whitby_sam

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2010, 04:03:23 pm »
we tried to rehome our "surplus boys"  last year, nobody wanted them for free, lol. We ate one of them, hardly worth the kill...I hope you find some girls for the lucky survivor, they are lovely birds to keep - nice eggs, too  :&>

daniellestocks

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2010, 09:49:55 pm »
One good thing about killing them, only i like duck in my home  ;D so i will have to eat it all  ;D
Ill just skin and take out the breasts for myself, there will be pleanty just for me  ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS