Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Take a look at these snow pics from this weeks snow  (Read 4929 times)

bamford6

Take a look at these snow pics from this weeks snow
« on: April 02, 2010, 05:33:51 pm »
take a look at these glenmore caingorm mountain snow clering
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 10:54:35 pm by bamford6 »

Daisy

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Near Earlston Scottish Borders
Re: take a look at these pics
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 06:05:36 pm »
Flippin heck that is a lot of snow  :o

spencers mum

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 06:34:52 pm »
OMG! When were they taken? :o

bamford6

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 06:45:16 pm »
2 DAYS AGO

spencers mum

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 06:48:01 pm »
 :o Crikey! We've just been on a mammouth dog walk and I moaned 'cos it's only 6 degrees!  And only this morning I was moaning 'cos my peas haven't grown as much as I'd like........in the ground.  Best shut up me thinks.  Do you grow veg (I'm new remember!) and if so when can you start?  I think now is late if you ever want to eat it in summer - how do you do it? :)

Jackie

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 08:26:58 pm »
I would seriously be thinking right now of selling up and buying further south.

Any profit you are ever going to make will be used up by buying food for over the winter.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 08:54:34 pm »
But Aviemore makes up for it in a lot of other ways.  It is really beautiful up there.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

bamford6

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 10:38:16 pm »
we have 3 seasons in 1 day snow lasts till June this is a record off haw things have gone 2009 2010 very little frost through september  then October the 8 th minus 8 for 3 days then snow 2 inches .nothink  till the end off November then 3 hard frosts December Christmas lunch on the 13 th  with mum snowing hard no problem had lunch phone call the sheep are up to there necs in snow left spent 4 hours getting them into a square left round bale . 14 and 15 got all the hens ducks pens free off snow .all ok service Christmas eve off to asda  elgin 50 miles  for Christmas shopin phone call from the dauter  things are getting bad snowing heavey on my way back . came through Dava up to granting on spey roads closed just got home  .went to the local  service in aviemore .8 oclock home .christmas morning kids up 7 ocklock looked out 2 foot off snow dawn to the 53 hens duck pens could not see eney pens all filled in with snow. spent all day water feeding digging then minus 20 for 4 days looking forward to new yere partey .december the 31 6 oclock in the morning  1 foot off snow the dog  needs the vet its my birthday got £50 pound over to grantown. roads very bad took 3 houres. got back 4 oclock fed the sheep fowl. phone call new yere partey cancelled bad wether .spent  the next 3 months round bale a day feed for the animals and gas to keep the animals warm .then on the 1st off April a nother foot off snow and drifts  and the train stuck dawn the road  in snow drifts . no problem send a nother train that got stuck as well as the 2 snow ploughs  .first sale off  the new yere 1st off march nothink to sell .iv also had 2 bad hatches with very little to show lambing starts on the 8th off April all out side with a small pen and still snow on the ground . i also feed hot food as well. iff the eggs are not collected i boil them and give them to  the birds . in sepember i bought 2 rams 2000 pound since november iv made nothink .i live for the better times and i pay rent for the small farm .easter i had 40 pounds the kids had half dont no about next week . whot did i do before the farm gest house Torquay, Devon garlin apartments ..gary and linda sold 20000 thousand no mortgage move to scotland  have a easey life on the land .......say no more we pay london prices for everey think diesel £117 liter bale £25 pound local shoping inverness 30 miles away .iff we havent got it thats it 5 miles to the main  road local shop 7 miles away ...
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 10:52:49 pm by bamford6 »

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: Take a look at these snow pics from this weeks snow
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 11:12:30 pm »
I am well used to snow, living up in the Derbyshire hills, near Buxton, which is well known for being cut off and record breaking snowdrifts ....but .....yours are definitely bigger snowfalls.

It does sound as if you are going through a rought time on your farm, and hopefully things will get better.  I know your prices are more expensive for things up there, due to the fact it has to travel to get to you.   And if you send for things through the post, you pay more for delivery etc. 

Is this your first winter on the farm?  Did you not have any farming experience at all before moving up to Scotland?  And do you regret leaving your guest house?  The weather in Torquay, and indeed the place, must be a world away from what you get where you live now!!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 09:10:11 am »
Diesel is the same price in Clackmannan
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2010, 09:56:55 am »
Not only is diesel the same price but so is hay. I have been paying £25 for a big round bale since it was harvested last year. I was getting straw quite cheap, £10 for a big bale, but my farmer didn't have enough for us, so I am now having to get wee bales at £2.50 each.

Beth

bamford6

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2010, 11:10:28 am »
you are right this is the second yere .last yere we had 1 week minus 20 2 weeks snow lots off stock and people having lots off eggs birds etc the hay and the weat made money .iv been to colige to lern some things at night . iv got a old chap that helps and nos a lot .but this has been very  hard not cold last night minus 4 .iv also got a qual project on the go with 6 different breeds inc mountain wich is hard to get .iff lambing goes ok il keep some off the tups .the big thing naw is chicks lambs to make things better the feed for the  hens ducks geese qual is £120 a week at the moment thats with out the rest

sandy

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2010, 08:26:17 pm »
 ::)WOW!!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS