Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tractor 3 point linkage How to connect  (Read 8744 times)

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Tractor 3 point linkage How to connect
« on: September 29, 2015, 09:04:09 pm »
After a recent post I thought something I do every day may not be so easy for a person new to tractors , so          IT is easiest to attach any implement if it is on fairly level ground .     The tractor has 3 connection points ,  a TOP LINK that lengthens or shortens , attached  by  a thick round pin  to holes in the centre of the tractor above the power take off  .      2 hydraulic arms that go up and down with ball ends  , the left one has no adjustment , the right one has  some form of adjuster so it can go up or down to make the implement level and  help to connect the implement if needed .                                                                                                 To connect        Reverse the tractor , keeping the  top link holes on the tractor aligned with the holes on the implement (  you could attach the top link to the tractor and tie it so it sits  straight  out to help as a guide )   keep the arms just above the  implement arm pins until the left arm ball end is lined up and lower the arm until it sits on or at the end of the pin ,    hand brake on  engine off  , dismount and go to the left arm , your arm should have some form of stabiliser bar  to  stop lateral sway ( may be on one arm or both ) slacken this off so the arm moves side ways , then push the ball end over the pin (   may have a sleeve if the ball ends are cat 2 thick and the implement pin is cat 1  thin )   put in a lynch pin or similar   .   Repeat on the right side using the adjuster if needed .            Now you can attach the power take off if   needed .    Attach the top link to the implement , screwing in or out to help make it easy .        Re start the tractor and lift the implement , stop the tractor go to the rear and re tighten the stabiliser bar or bars to stop side ways swing .    step well back and look at the  implement ,is it sitting level with the tractor if not then lower to the ground use the right arm adjuster lift the implement and check again .     Move to the side of the implement  step back   and depending on the machine you can adjust the top link  to make it sit level .    Ready to go , to take the machine off reverse the procedure .                                                  Most PTO machines run  540 RPM (  hay bobs  run slower for best performance )                                                   Hope this may help
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 07:19:12 pm by shep53 »

sss

• Joined Mar 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
Re: Tractor 3 point linkage
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 08:25:39 am »
On you tube there were some very good videos on how to connect implements and size PTO shafts. They were done by a UK compact tractor seller. If I can find the links again I will add them.

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
Re: Tractor 3 point linkage How to connect
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 06:12:20 pm »
I know that this is an old post but if you have the YouTube link 're compact tractors I would be grateful. Connected mine up today and it was running skew ( to the left) and I couldn't figure out how to adjust it. Thanks

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 07:39:54 pm »
If you lift the machine off the ground and stand behind it ,the top link should be straight  and the machine sitting level , if not level lift one arm up or down then adjust the check chains or bars to stop sideways swing and keep the top link straight . the machine should drop perfectly vertically

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 10:11:35 pm »
Old thread maybe, but connecting up with standard 3PLs is a pain.  While D&C's more recent post was about running skew, but I would add to shep53's original post. 

I'm gradually getting better at aligning tractor to 3PL implements, but ...
Having one lower pin sorted, it is sometimes possible to heft the implement, forwards/backwards, to align the other lower pin.  If I can't manage that heft, I will push or pull implement with tractor via the one connected lower link pin to line-up the other tractor arm with the other lower pin on the implement (v slowly/carefully & without top link connected - although I will retry shep53's suggestion about connecting top-link after 1st pin connection and see if top-link adjustment brings 2nd pin into alignment more easily). 

For 3PL connections with lower removable pins, best to partially insert the pins to aid the alignment.
For connecting to all types of lower implement pins (outward-pointing, inward-pointing or removeable) I keep the tractor's 3PL lift arms just above the pins while reversing and then push them down (off tractor) to the right level and then do the ferniggling - hefting implement or slighting moving the tractor.  For connection to inward-pointing implement pins, I apply a bungee between the tractor's lower lift arms to keep them inboard of the pins:  then I lower lift arms to pin level and remove the bungee to allow the arms to clank up against the pins & then shift either tractor or heft the implement.
And for a 3PL offset disc harrow, the 1st lower pin to connect will be the one on the side where the disc gangs converge:  it is then often possible to manually tug/roll the harrow around on the other side to match up the 2nd lower pin.

It does become easier over time;  apart from those days when nothing seems to work no matter how many times you've done it it before!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 09:02:52 pm by arobwk »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS