Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Getting started with sheep  (Read 3161 times)

Farmer Pete

• Joined Apr 2010
Getting started with sheep
« on: April 03, 2010, 09:07:44 pm »
Hi all,
I'm just getting started with a 2 acre plot and I have been farming pigs purely for eating for about 6 months now.
I feel ready for sheep.
Pop down to the local livestock market, buy 6 (cos many die apparently), leave them to chew my grass and then hey presto - lovely lamb.
Right or wrong?
Pigs are a doddle and sheep can't be that difficult can they?

any advice greatly appreciated :farmer:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Getting started with sheep
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 09:10:00 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

Farmer Pete

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 09:13:52 pm »
now those funny faces make me nervous - what do you mean? it's not fair to not have nay words !!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 09:28:04 pm »
Sorry, FP. I suppose if you buy a few store lambs and fatten them, it will be relatively straightforward. You probably won't get store lambs until later in the summer though. At least you'll miss the flies and maggots and won't have to bother with shearing, or foot trimming, or worming probably or the various preventaive vaccinations required.

I love my sheep but they are a lot more work that fattening weaner pigs. Seriously, don't let me put you off - but do have a read through the threads on the sheep section of the forum.

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 09:29:24 pm »
i have recently started with sheep, i have 3 2month old orphan lambs, my ones will be eaten as soon as they reach a suitable age and size. If you intend to eat the sheep then they will need supplement feeding hay, pellets etc.

I think sheep are almost easier to keep than pigs, though others may differ.
Sheep are hardier than you think, so getting six on the change that some die i think is someone trying to make money. My three lambs survived the snows no problem.

There is tonnes more information in the sheep section, and also farm more experience owners than me who will give you more and better advice.

Farmer Pete

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 09:42:56 pm »
Thanks CameronS & Rosemary

yep - I'm just getting them to fatten up and there are 2 acres to hang out in and nicely stock fenced. I figured 3 may be OK but after my pig success (and now long list of new customers) I reckon that if you get 3 you might as well get 6.
I have to check on the pigs twice a day anyway so why not a few sheep too.
I 'm sure it won't be as simple as all that but hey - I'm just making sure I'm not being a complete idiot and missing something REALLY obvious.
thanks all
Also my first livestock market experience and I'm very excited about it. Who knows what I'll come back with.
How much should I pay for (non pedigree) Jacob lambs?

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 09:55:47 am »

Pigs are a doddle and sheep can't be that difficult can they?

Pigs are a doddle so true.  Sheep are born to die, its their only ambition in life. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS