Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: poorly goat...  (Read 11540 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: poorly goat...
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2010, 11:12:54 pm »
I expect Margo is still not feeling one hundred per cent, but so long as she is eating something, I am sure she will be ok.  I have had this in the past, and you try everything to tempt them to eat, and its so frustrating when they turn their noses up at your tasty morsal of apple, banana or whatever!!

Bicarbonate of soda in warm water goes down a treat with an under the weather goat.  Oh, and when all else failed, I tried cream crackers with one sick goat and she devoured those - of course they have bicarb of soda in.  Anything is worth a try when you are desperate, and as well as helping the goat, you will feel better too, if she eats something!!!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2010, 07:24:31 pm »
cream crackers?! what a brilliant idea... thats just the kind of thing she'd go for!
She is getting perkier - but looks so poorly, I worry that womeone will call the rspca or something (people walking by can see them if they're out) and of course we are really worried for her health & possible kid.

bless her, she is such a lovely girl...
Little Blue

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2010, 07:50:50 pm »
Hope she enjoys the crackers and don't worry about the RSPCA they are very used to people calling them out when everything is actually under control.  Keep us posted.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2010, 05:35:31 pm »
well, Margo is eating much better now. 

She is still very thin, and her feet aren't great (but never have been). she is more alert and interested in things now, which is a relief.

But she has a very cloudy and gungy eye.    I've been bathing it which helps. 
It hasn't spread to the other goats , so may not be infectious (surely it would spread quickly if it was ?!) but again... any suggestions to help her?  could she be missing something , vitamin or something?
She doesn't seem to be bothered by it, I just worry!

You're all so knowledgeable, I thought it best to ask!
Little Blue

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2010, 06:18:00 pm »
Good news for Margo, hoping that she gets back to normal real soon. All the best little blue. My lot are still causing great concern.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2010, 06:46:31 pm »
I know James, its so awful isn't it?  you feel so helpless...
thankyou
Little Blue

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2010, 08:47:58 pm »
I know nothing of goats, but do they need mineral licks?

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2010, 10:39:28 pm »
Margo has obviously got run down with being ill, and at this time of year, any lost weight on any animal takes time to be put back on.  And you do not want her to go from  thin to fat quickly, its better if it can be bit by bit.  With seeing her every day, you will probably not notice if she has gained some weight or not.

I have noticed all my goats, and the sheep, are wanting to lick the mineral licks, so they are obvously lacking in something, even though goat mix etc. has vitamins in it.  Caprivite supplement to add to the feed has revived my older goats - and they all took it (its a granule type supplement) without any fuss.  You would only need to get a small tub, and probably would need to order it at your feed merchant. If you do not have a mineral lick (small ones are about £2.50 from feed store - we use the giant ones with all our gang!) I would get one.  Either red or yellow they are.

Have you tried Margo with soaked sugar beet - its helpful for putting weight on.  You are welcome to some of ours as I said.

As for her eye, I was reading about that on your other post.  I have never had a case of pink eye among my goats, only heard of it in cows.  Am I right in thinking it can be passed from goat to goat?  Just wondering if the billy you borrowed could possibly be a carrier, and fetched it in?  Its not as if your goats mix with anyone else's livestock is it?  As far as I know, from seeing it in cows, it can be cured with antibiotics.  Just be careful the other goat does not catch it too.

Poor Margo, she has been in the wars just lately. Do hope she perks up.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2010, 10:44:48 pm »
All my goats love their salt licks. :goat:

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2010, 08:19:02 am »
My goat's love their salt lick too - especially one of the wethers he's takes a drink then a lick then a drink then a lick etc, and I have noticed the girls are taking more since they have been expecting kids - I guess they know best
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2010, 10:55:50 am »
I woke up in the night thinking of Margo!!

I would not breed from her until she is completely well again.  Being in kid, takes all their strength and resources, and they need to be healthy to carry kids successfully.  I know she was ill before you got the billy on loan, I am just wondering if she actually did get served by the billy ......if not, I would leave it now until Autumn and concentrate on getting her weight back on. 

Has the vet had a look at her to rule out anything that may be causing her weight loss.  I know with our sheep, they did a blood test and could tell what supplement they needed.  At least you would know exactly which one to buy.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2010, 07:08:43 pm »
hi folks...
1) we always have a mineral lick in for the goats (red rockie - says its suitable for goaties)

2) she loves sugar beet! it has added mollasses which she adores

3) have a twice - a - day antibiotic ointment from the vets for her eye.  The others seem ok, its not easy to isolate her and the vet agreed it would probably be stressful - don't want to spoil her chances for eating better.

4) little toggie has got very bossy, so we are supervising even more closely than usual in case this is stressing her or stopping her eating comfortably.

5) Cream crackers are very popular! between them and bananas for top favorite round here...

6) we are not certain whether or not she is in kid - the billy did his stuff and she hasn't been in season since... on the other hand, she could have aborted with being ill ...

btw, she wasn't ill before Cesar came, that was the pig!

7) thanks for all your ideas, and offers of help/loans.  you're all so lovely!   x
Little Blue

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2010, 10:38:55 pm »
Oh yes, of course it was Murphy, wasn't it, who was ill.  Oh dear, what with him and Margo, you have had more than your fair share of illness in your livestock.  Our neighbour has had a sick cow, who came through and still had a calf, so its not to say Margo lost her kid because she was ill .....you will just have to see if she gets fatter.  About 10 weeks after she went to the billy, you should notice a  difference in size!!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2010, 10:55:55 pm »
thanks Roxy.
we pay the price of 'rescuing' animals I feel sorry for, I guess!   And we're new to the game, on the 'townie' side of country living (don't let my husband hear that! But you know what I mean, you've seen us!)

I'm hoping she will get fatter... for her own sake, not just to kid...
btw, Murphy is grand, stubborn as a mule but so good natured!
Little Blue

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2010, 12:08:14 am »
Well, whether you are a townie or a country person, having seen your set up, and your animals, no one could fault you on how well your animals are looked after - whatever has made Margo ill, thin or whatever, its not your lack of care and attention - and should anyone report you to the RSPCA, you can send them to me for a reference :D

Good to hear Murphy is ok.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS