Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: poorly goat...  (Read 11538 times)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
poorly goat...
« on: March 26, 2010, 10:20:05 pm »
one of our goats has been really poorly and lost alot of weight.
Any suggestions on how to sensibly (but quickly) build her back up again?
She is showing an interest in food again, but only managing small amounts at a time.
She has concentrates, hay, grass, bananas (her favourite!) veg and green stuff.

When we first had her, she had literally just kidded, and was quite thin.  We milked her, and managed to get some weight on her ready for winter.
but now she is so boney and skinny.   :(

She has not been milked since christmas, she has "been to the billy" but we dont know for sure if she is in kid... that would obviously affect her ability to gain weight.

Hope someone can help (or at least reassure me!)
Thanks
Little Blue

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: poorly goat...
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 10:25:32 pm »
How old is the goat? If she is "wasting away" it may be Johnes? Dry coat? Runny droppings? Worms/fluke? Nothing else comes mind straight away...

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 10:29:09 pm »
she is about 2 years old
we know what caused the weight loss... I'm after advice on how to build her up again without upsetting her digestion or causing bloat or something.  And if anything in particular is good, or should be avoided.

Thanks for your quick reply!
Little Blue

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 10:31:24 pm »
If she has been ill and is that thin, then if she was in kid, she is unlikely to still be in kid. Fluke is a possibility (as are the other things Anke has mentioned). We feed micronized flaked peas and also flaked barley, both are good for improving condition. Also, soaked beetpulp, mixed with either a little soya bean meal, or mix in a little flaked barley or bruised oats.

Like Anke I'd be interested in how old she is- if she is older how are her teeth? Is she is wasting away, are her teeth good enough for her eat properly?

Beth

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 10:38:03 pm »
When we have a sick goat, I find giving them willow branches helps them recover and start chewing the cud again.  Not easy to find willow, but river banks is a good place.  Ours eat the leaves, which are just coming out now, the branch and the bark.  It has pain relieving properties in it.  I have found it a life saver on more than one occasion.

She is probably being sensible having a small amount at a time - its like us after an upset tummy, you take it easy foodwise, don't you?

Will she eat Alfa A which I give to my horses - the goats love that.  Its a fibre feed and although you do not feed a lot, is good.  Puts weight on my old horse anyway!!  My bigger goats are always lanky looking, so they have sheep nuts and that helps the weight loss too. Soaked sugar beet is good to get weight on too.

You need to get the weight on gradually, not piled on suddenly.  And I assume she is no longer milking, so I would not give her a massive amount of got mix at one meal.

If she only eats a little at a time, perhaps you could give her three smaller meals, if thats possible.  Maybe she will digest it better?

Lots of hay, if she will eat it too.

Hope your goat is on the road to full recovery soon.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 10:44:40 pm »
thanks Beth
we have a supply of mixed flakes (pea, oats, maize, and I think barley) which we've given her.  And they all had brewers' yeast in their water (not keen on it!)  but not tried beetpulp

her teeth seem fine. She is 2 and came from a huge commercial dairy so was not in great condition poor thing.
She had terrible 'elf shoe' hooves, which we are still trying to keep under control even now.

Roxy, if you remember we have willow round us, and I gave them some today and last weekend (its just come out in seed)
Is it ok then to give goats sheep food, but not sheep goats'  food?! (copper content?)
AlfaA sounds good, is it just  alfalfa dried or something?   I think our local merchant has it in the horse section
Little Blue

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 10:47:30 pm »
lots of questions in that post... but I'll read any replies tomorrow... can't keep my eyes open any longer - been a very long and difficult week
Night night   x
Little Blue

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 10:55:08 pm »
Sorry to hear that little blue- hope it improves soon.

It's fine to give goat's sheep food, but not the other way around like you say. Our basic mix that we feed is Davisons Sheep mix http://www.davidsonsfeeds.co.uk/ (and as an aside, they are fantasic at customer service!) We supplement the sheep mix with some goat mix for the milkers, plus cattle dairy nuts, flaked barley and peas, and also either beetpulp, veg or Alfafa. AlfafA is just dried Alfafa or sometimes just molassed dried grass depending on which brand you use.

You could try dissolving a couple of large spoonfuls of treacle into a bucket of warm water for her, we often do that for a sick or poorly animal, or one that has recently kidded- gives them a bit of a sugar boost.

You lucky lot having Willow out already!

Beth

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 11:04:33 pm »
I am not too far from LIttle Blue, and our willow is just coming into bud, and the sycamore.  I have been picking the willow already for the goats.

Little Blue, if you want some alfa a to try, and some beet pulp for you to soak, to make sure she will eat it, I can let you have some.  Not sure when I can make it over, but could possibly meet you half way, if not all the way, if thats ok?

Will PM my number, in case you have mislaid it.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2010, 08:14:12 pm »
thanks for all the ideas, she is looking happier today & enjoyed willow, grass & hay and some various flaked stuff. They all have a mixture of concentrates, and are partial to 'sweet meadow' rabbit food.
she has also been out on her collar & lead to help herself to brambles, beech leaves, ivy and my just-in-bud roses!

oh yeah, she also pinched some banana peel out of the little ones mouth, so I take that as a good sign...
Little Blue

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2010, 09:59:53 pm »
It sounds as if Margo is feeling much better!!

Goats are funny creatures - if they are not well, sometimes they take some persuading and tempting to eat. 

Once Margo starts to get her appetite back, she will put some weight on I am sure.

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 08:06:43 pm »
Glad to hear she is getting perkier and sorry to hear you had a bad week and hope this week is a huge improvement.  I have Sugar beet if you want some.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2010, 11:03:15 pm »
Oh thats good Miri Maran - as you will be closer to Little Blue, than me, although I have offered some sugar beet and also alfa a if needed.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2010, 07:10:30 pm »
you're all very kind... thanks again   x
We're getting her out of the pen to eat away from the others, and I'm hoping this will encourage her... but its going to rain all week so I bet she'll refuse to come out!
I will check her weight/girth over the next couple of days, and let you know if we need reinforcements...
Little Blue

chickenfeed

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2010, 09:43:42 pm »
 :)honey in warm water, glucose from any chemists and molasis in beet pulp or water are all worth a try.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS