Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goats on rich pasture  (Read 3357 times)

Bex

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Wales
Goats on rich pasture
« on: September 19, 2015, 03:38:22 pm »
Hi!

Thinking about goats for the first time.

The house I've currently got my eye on has been left untouched for a couple of years and all the land is really overgrown.

I know goats are great for clearing scrubby, weedy , overgrown land but the growth at the house is really rich looking grass, not much in the way of weeds and scrub.
Is it going to be too rich for goats? Will they end up with digestive problems having unlimited access to all that grass.

I'd rather use it to feed some stock than just cut it and let it rot.

;D :goat:
Little bugs have lesser bugs upon their backs to bite 'em. And lesser bugs have lesser bugs and so ad infinitum!

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: Goats on rich pasture
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 04:03:56 pm »
My goats have been on acre of long grass all summer. No problems.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 09:53:07 pm »
should be fine, they will tell you if they don't approve  ::)
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Bex

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Wales
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2015, 02:39:52 am »
Thanks folks!

:)
Little bugs have lesser bugs upon their backs to bite 'em. And lesser bugs have lesser bugs and so ad infinitum!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2015, 02:09:36 pm »
Depending what kind of feeding system they come from (in their previous home) it would be advisable to get them used to new pasture slowly, by restricting their grazing initially to a short period and then slowly increase. Also if they go out with their bellies full of hay already (and once the grass is dry after morning dew) they are much less likely to get blown.

You would also be advised to check if any poisonous plants are a round. Goats are actually not good at keeping grass down, if it is mainly grass sheep would be much better, although if it is long and stemmy goats will have a go at eating it (selectively).

Bex

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Wales
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 01:53:37 am »
Goats are actually not good at keeping grass down, if it is mainly grass sheep would be much better, although if it is long and stemmy goats will have a go at eating it (selectively).

I think the grass will be far too long to have sheep on initially?

I was thinking about using goats to clear it and then sheep/rabbits/geese etc. to actually keep it down.

Hadn't really been planning on keeping goats so I thought I could use a few to clear the land and then send them on a lovely freezer holiday when they're done, (provided I don't fall in love with them in the meantime!).

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2015, 09:19:26 am »
You can try and see how they eat it down, but I would think you may need to tidy it up.

It is IMPOSSIBLE not to fall in love with your goats - but if you buy a couple of milkers with male (castrated) kids that are sent off before any new babies arrive, give them no names or obvious ones like "Curry", it is a lot easier. Also male kids become very boisterous by the time they are over 6 months, I am usually glad to see them going and returning freezer-ready....

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2015, 10:50:03 am »
we have only had ours for a week, goats and sheep..they all arrived on the same day..two separate paddocks, long grass, and both are doing a fantastic job on cutting the grass down….. we also heard sheep don't like long grass..this is proving to be wrong in our case as it is with goats not eating grass

we are not experts by any means, just saying what we are finding in week one

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2015, 10:51:04 am »
ps….YOU WILL FALL IN LOVE WITH THEM…THEY ARE AWESOME  :thumbsup:

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2015, 06:37:21 pm »
Depending on your fencing you could consider turning in some cattle. They will pull your grass off and fertilise it for you. Then you can get your own stock in when it is manageable.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS