Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Scaly Leg  (Read 2700 times)

LeeH

• Joined Jul 2015
Scaly Leg
« on: September 08, 2015, 12:12:31 pm »
Does this look like Scaly leg mite?  She's a retired hen, none of the younger ones seem to have legs like this. 

Thanks.

Lee. 

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
Re: Scaly Leg
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 12:39:40 pm »
Yes I would treat for SLM. You can try a product called just for scaly leg or get some ivermectin drops from your vet or rub Vaseline on them at the start of the day. If you do it at the end og the day it will just stick to her feathers when she perches.

I have a post about it somewhere on my blog if if you want  to have a look.

HTH

LeeH

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 12:47:57 pm »
Thanks, I've already ordered the link below so will try that first as I can spray her while she's roosting.  She's doesn't like being handled. 

I'll try the Vaseline if the spray doesn't work. 

Barrier Animal Healthcare Scaly Leg Spray, 500 ml

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008XIQOS8/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_wQS7vb5B890DH

LeeH

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 12:50:26 pm »
I've also cleaned the coop and given it a real good dusting with Diatom

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 02:31:43 pm »
Not the worst case I've seen by a long way LeeH. Ivermectin carries an egg withdrawal period of up to 28 days, depending on your vet, because it is unlicensed for poultry so I'd be very reluctant to use it -ever.

We used to use Bezole Benzoate from the vets but have had far more success soaking their feet in Olive Oil, brushing up the scales to get it between. This both suffocates the mites and conditions the scales and is totally chemical and drug free treatment. Once or perhaps twice is all that is required in our experience.

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 02:49:33 pm »
I used the spray you have bought and found it very effective. I think if I recall correctly is was two applications, 5 days apart.
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2015, 08:48:16 pm »
The spray is good on unfeathered legs but it takes a long time for the scales to fall off and grow new ones so her legs will look like this for a while even when the mites are dead.

LeeH

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2015, 09:29:54 pm »
Thanks all.  I'll report back.   :chook:

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2015, 10:06:33 am »
Not the worst case I've seen by a long way LeeH. Ivermectin carries an egg withdrawal period of up to 28 days, depending on your vet, because it is unlicensed for poultry so I'd be very reluctant to use it -ever.

Ivomec has no meat withdrawal period for cattle, and as you correctly say, the withdrawal period for poultry is at the vet's discretion, merely because there is no licence information to the contrary.
However, there were tests done in the States that indicated no residue found in eggs after Ivomec was applied externally at the recommended dose. (You need to extrapolate down from the cattle dose, and it equates to between 1 and 5 drops/bird.)
I'm afraid I haven't got the link but if you google "Ivomec withdrawal poultry" you will find it.
I use it on my own poultry because it not only treats scaly leg mite, but red mite as well. And I carry on eating the eggs.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 10:09:00 am by landroverroy »
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS