Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: what drug to bring on a heat? Ram just covered some ewes  (Read 7408 times)

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
Re: what drug to bring on a heat? Ram just covered some ewes
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2015, 08:44:29 am »
True true.........                   Myself .....  :dunce:         :innocent:

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2015, 10:23:09 am »
Sorry my post didn't come through.

All sorted now anyway. Vets given me the drug needed.

The problem is they are pedigree animals and providing the lambs are correct and true to type I have provisionally sold the offspring.

Ram has learnt to climb stock fence and has crossed more than 6 fields to get there and covered a handful of his sisters.

I don't sell to market or have the facilities to lamb in February so either way the pregnancies have to be ended.

I've never had a first time animal not hold first service.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2015, 10:36:58 am »

The problem is they are pedigree animals and providing the lambs are correct and true to type I have provisionally sold the offspring.

Well that really was tempting fate! :innocent:
With such sought after potential offspring I'm surprised you didn't just go staight to the vet and get the correct stuff anyway. :sunshine:
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 10:59:29 am by landroverroy »
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Keepers

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2015, 10:53:45 am »
I had a charollais ram (fortunately now gone) hop some gates when the ewes were yarded up for shearing end of July

Found him in the morning in with all of the ewes looking very pleased with himself having tupped all of the charmoise ewes  :o

I had the vet out to inject all of them 2 weeks later, better safe than sorry, would have been a load of very expensive fat lambs!

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2015, 11:14:13 am »
I wasn't going to bother the vet on the weekend. The vet was coming out on Monday anyway So I was just jumping the gun to see What would be used if anything.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2015, 11:15:17 am »
Me, novice question but why does one have to be particularly careful about Estrumate?

Hi Kimbo, missed this earlier sorry, as said above its an abortion drug, 2ml will reliably abort a pregnancy in a big cow.. 1ml could.. so all things assumed equal how little could it take to terminate a human pregnancy in a 50kg woman? So little you couldn't even see it, therefore I would argue its one of the most dangerous drugs routinely used and refuse to give it out.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS