Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: what drug to bring on a heat? Ram just covered some ewes  (Read 7399 times)

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
what drug to bring on a heat? Ram just covered some ewes
« on: September 05, 2015, 08:32:14 pm »
I'm not happy!  :rant:

One of my shearling rams has gone walk abouts and jumped in with my shearling ewes in with the teaser ram.
He's covered his half sister and I don't want to go down the inbreeding line or the February lambing!

The dairy has estrimate, cyclix and ovurlin (I think)  what any of those work? If so have much do I give them??

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
Re: what drug to bring on a heat? Ram just covered some ewes
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 09:05:15 pm »
Estrumate would work, I'm amazed the vet gives it out though. Be careful.

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2015, 09:13:37 pm »
we have it for the dairy cows. How much would I give?

would cyclix work?

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2015, 09:16:05 pm »
Am sorry to hear that, but why is it a problem if she's only his half sister? the lamb would be fine as long as the process wasn't repeated, one cross isn't too bad its only when they are crossed again and again that it becomes a problem. Lambing in Feb is not a good idea though, but on the other hand you might have some nice lamb in the middle of the year, who knows? I have had that before and all turned out OK. How many ewes is it? is it many or just the one? If it was just one it wouldn't be too bad, but if its more than one that could be an issue. I would ask the vet if you wanted to get rid of it. When people want to get rid of an unwanted calf they give them prostoglandin, but not for sheep use only cows.
These are the things you listed. There is no listing for  estrimate, so you will have to ask your vet about that one.
http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Virbac_Limited/Cyclix_250_microgram_ml_solution_for_injection_/-49041.html
http://www.farmadvisor.com.au/product/?p=67
There are a few listings for this last one. I would still consult the vet about them though. For a herbal alternative you could feed them pennyroyal, as that kills the young feotus, Here is a link.
http://www.sisterzeus.com/Pennyroyal.htm
http://www.oapublishinglondon.com/article/327
raspberry leaf as well as the penny royal does work too. However plz read up on them both before doing anything, as herbs are quite potent. please read extensively about these herbs before giving any to any animal/human as, like I said, they're potent.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 09:35:25 pm by waterbuffalofarmer »
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2015, 10:10:25 pm »
I agree with WBF. Mating with half sister isn't going to produce anything with 2 heads or 6 legs; and surely isn't the end of the world?
We had a couple of lambs born unexpectedly in Jan this year. Ready for market in May, off grass - no creep and fetched a decent price. Certainly better than present prices for fat lambs!
The best laid plans. . . . .   :innocent:
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 10:12:28 pm by landroverroy »
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 06:57:19 pm »
I'd chalk it up to experience and remember to keep the shearlings further apart in future years.  I wouldn't breed from the lamb, though.

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2015, 11:13:15 am »
Me, novice question but why does one have to be particularly careful about Estrumate?
Is it time to retire yet?

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2015, 11:36:31 am »
Prostaglandin is a serious drug. It can also affect cycling in women, so can cause abortions or muck up the menstrual cycle. It also affects other tissues and can cause problems with breathing, particularly in people who have issues such as asthma. This could even be fatal if not treated correctly

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2015, 11:54:16 am »
What about getting hold of a teaser to put in with them, safer than jabbing? If he's busy enough, they possibly won't hold the first covering??  Worth a try eh?

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2015, 12:22:40 pm »
Prostaglandin is a serious drug. It can also affect cycling in women, so can cause abortions or muck up the menstrual cycle. It also affects other tissues and can cause problems with breathing, particularly in people who have issues such as asthma. This could even be fatal if not treated correctly
Am I right in thinking though that prostogladin can only be used in cows and other bovine?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2015, 12:53:28 pm »
What about getting hold of a teaser to put in with them, safer than jabbing? If he's busy enough, they possibly won't hold the first covering??  Worth a try eh?
Either pregnant or not pregnant.  I don't think a teaser is going to make any difference.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2015, 01:22:33 pm »
No it wouldn't, but if raddled would tell you what the situation was. Personally, I'd leave her alone

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2015, 08:48:40 pm »
But surely if it's early on, we talking a tenuous pregnancy, they could slip re absorb.  I can't scroll back through thread with iPad but also if they re maidens, they may not hold anyway, either way if they did continue to hold They would be normal, surely enough outside blood. Good luck

snowyriver

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Montgomeryshire
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2015, 09:28:00 pm »
I'd chalk it up to experience.

Personally, I'd leave her alone.

Exactly what I'd do!

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2015, 08:24:52 am »
Why not leave the sheep alone which hes has covered, then you'll have a crop of nice early lambs, all ready for mart when the price is better and the market is not too crowded. Then next year run the program and keep your other ram a few fields away or even completely somewhere else like in a building, until you have ai'd the sheep and they have been ai'd for a week or more. I had that with one of my bulls and I was furious at the time.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS