Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Denzel- it's quality of life decision time  (Read 11917 times)

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: Denzel- it's quality of life decision time
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2015, 08:37:01 pm »
He will finally be at peace and so will you.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2015, 09:22:29 pm »
I know how hard this has been and will be for you but most folk wouldn't have given him the chance of life that you have. I don't think I would have. You couldn't have done more and you'll do the best for him now.  :hug:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2015, 10:33:12 pm »
I'm glad you've reached a decision, KC.  Poor wee fella has had some terrible things happen to him, and you've given him stability and kindness, and a dignified end.  Bless you both.  :-* :hug:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2015, 01:27:30 am »
I'm so sorry KC, I SO wish I could suggest some other way out of this (along with everyone else I think), which would give him a feeling of being loved, but until you (and the rescuer), he would never have had that, and I suppose, not being able to see your expressions or hear the tone of your voice, he can't understand how much you care for him, he looks a sweet little thing, but what a horrible existance he had, you've given him all you can, his time with you has been calm and stable, well fed, warm secure place to sleep, to just go to sleep now and not have to wake up, well, when it's my time I hope that's the way I go.
Well done in all you do.
Take Care

BTW, how is Juno(?) the blind dog who had the operation doing?

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2015, 08:03:22 am »
Yoi have given him a well deserved retirement with love, care and security. You can also,now allow him a peaceful,and dignified end to his life. Sending much love to you both.  :hug:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2015, 08:17:02 am »
We humans tend to think that becasue we're clever we can fix everything, but sometimes things just can't be fixed, no matter how hard you try.  At least the end of his life will have been a calm and loving experience.

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2015, 08:21:50 am »
LUca is my dog who had the double enucleation and he is wonderful.

Juno was the rescue who came from Bulgaria and was bleeding from the nose and obviously distressed on arrival. 

Unfortunately an x-ray showed over 200 shotgun pellets in her skull, a smashed front skull and the remnants of the end of a blade in her eye socket/brain where someone has stabbed her in the eye.  There was nothing that could be done and she had to be pts.

What is concerning is (a) she was in foster for 5 months prior to travelling and I am concerned some of her injuries occurred in foster and others weren't treated in foster (b) how a vet signed her as fit for travel under the traces scheme

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2015, 12:48:49 pm »
Oh Gosh, sorry, I was hoping to lighten things a bit with good news about Luca, I should have checked back and got the name right, not brought you back to another heartbreaker.  :(
Worrying about the foster care, is it possible people get an allowance but don't actually care for the dogs?
Still good to hear about Luca though  :thumbsup: . Keep thinking of the positives, we can't have success all the time, the ones that make it makes it all the more rewarding. (And that in no way belittles any of your efforts for these poor dogs).  :hug:

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2015, 06:59:56 am »
DENZEL IS STILL WITH US. 

The week before the vet appointment, he really started to come out of his shell!  he has taken to instigating cuddles and has allowed me to pick up his front legs and generally seems a lot happier.

Not knowing he was deaf for so long meant I constantly frightened him with stroking him and just warning him of my presence (I click next to his ear before I touch him) has made a big difference.  He seems less frightened of the other dogs too.  He moves away from them still but not in the scrurrying desparate way he did previously. 

Denzel is always going to be a "month by month" decision but for now, he is doing well

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2015, 09:26:39 am »
 :excited:  Oh wow.  Well done, KC.   And well done Denzel.  That's great that he's instigating cuddles.  Bless him.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2015, 11:47:53 am »
WONDERFUL News!
we know dogs can sense much more than we can, maybe he picked up some of your feelings and reacted accordingly. lets hope he can now be happy and content as he relaxes more  :)   :thumbsup: 

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2015, 03:51:34 pm »
That's brilliant news! NOW he has a life!  :excited:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS