Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Living in a caravan....  (Read 8546 times)

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
Re: Living in a caravan....
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2015, 12:24:46 pm »
The mice started coming in as the weather got colder in autumn.  I was away with work the day my wife came home to find mice droppings across the pillows in the bed.  That night she did a swap with the neighbours - she slept in their house, their cat slept in our caravan.  The next day, a trip to the cat rescue home and we had our own cat!

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2015, 02:31:14 pm »
Don't be put of some of the kids best times was in the caravans. Going dawn the shop on the cart in deep snow. Deep drifts

SophieLeeds

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2015, 02:54:07 pm »
What do people do with their dogs in caravans? Ours wouldn't take kindly to being suddenly booted out permanently but I dont think there would be room for the lot of us!

And my little pet bunny Boris can't be evicted, he's too used to the sofa and a slice of toast in a morning  :yum:
"The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops or livestock, but the cultivation and perfection of human beings"

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2015, 03:09:16 pm »
I had Horace (dog) and Jacob (cat) in the caravan with me.

Go and see some statics / park homes, Sophie, I think they are much smaller in your mind's eye than they are in real life ;).

I've been in new build houses that were smaller... :-J
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

adrian007

• Joined Dec 2013
    • Axe Head Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2015, 07:50:40 pm »
The advice in the post above is valuable - go and see some, get an idea of floor space in the different designs.

Mine is 36 x 12 and it is fine for me, my wife, 16 year old and retriever/alsation dog. Think about it, it is larger than alot of city flats.

I do admit, it was more fine, in a space kind of a way, prior to my son choosing us in a caravan over his mum in a £700,000 mansion, but for 2 and a dog, you'd be fine.

There are a few photo's on our blog www.axeheadfarm.co.uk

Your sleep thing - you could get a tourer for sleeping in and live in the static?

Main things about a static:

You can some without under floor insulation or double glazing. Probably avoid those.

Definately chain it to the floor - we had 3 concreete plinths made with eyes, to make sure the van was horizontal, but then to chain it down.

Replace carpets with laminate.

Get a log burner

Block off the sides underneath, even with hay bales - in winter the air underneath really cools down the place.

Building a porch is amongst the next things on our list!

As with any home - it will be how you make it. :-)

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2015, 10:40:28 pm »
as I'm living in a static at this moment (and have been for 3 years now) I feel I ought to give an opinion, although everyone else's already said it all.  :)

I don't have a problem with space as it's just me & the dog and this is a 'double' static with 2 double bedrooms and a room that could fit a single if you didn't mind falling into it from the door. I have a washing machine inside and apart from the whole place shimmying on the spin cycle it's fine.

I would add my recommendations for serious insulation and a good woodburner/stove - if you can get something that will keep the fire in overnight well it would help - statics heat up quick as there's no thermal 'mass' like you get in masonary; but as soon as the fire goes out it's freezing. And yes the damp is a major issue - even in summer when it's wet but warm I occasionally light the fire just to dry the place out.

not had problems with mice, and certainly not in my bed, although I have heard the odd scrabbling in the walls of the kitchen and bathroom they've yet to make an apperance inside  :fc: .

as my static is 35years+ old it may not have much in common with a modern one. TBH most of my issues stem from it's age and the fact that it's exterior is plywood and 35 years in the welsh climate have taken their toll.

A porch would be good.

SophieLeeds

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2015, 08:13:39 am »
I think they are much smaller in your mind's eye than they are in real life ;).

You've not heard my OH's snoring  :roflanim:
"The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops or livestock, but the cultivation and perfection of human beings"

SophieLeeds

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2015, 08:18:48 am »
The advice in the post above is valuable - go and see some, get an idea of floor space in the different designs.

Mine is 36 x 12 and it is fine for me, my wife, 16 year old and retriever/alsation dog. Think about it, it is larger than alot of city flats.

I do admit, it was more fine, in a space kind of a way, prior to my son choosing us in a caravan over his mum in a £700,000 mansion, but for 2 and a dog, you'd be fine.

There are a few photo's on our blog www.axeheadfarm.co.uk

Your sleep thing - you could get a tourer for sleeping in and live in the static?

Main things about a static:

You can some without under floor insulation or double glazing. Probably avoid those.

Definately chain it to the floor - we had 3 concreete plinths made with eyes, to make sure the van was horizontal, but then to chain it down.

Replace carpets with laminate.

Get a log burner

Block off the sides underneath, even with hay bales - in winter the air underneath really cools down the place.

Building a porch is amongst the next things on our list!

As with any home - it will be how you make it. :-)

Great blog! Thanks very much! I was thinking more along the lines of four dogs that are bigger than alsatians  ;D Kennel building time by the looks of it!

The laminate sounds like a good idea too, thanks!

How do you manage with cooking larger meals for the three of you? Do you have a four ring hob and normal size oven?

AnnS

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2015, 09:39:12 am »
We holiday in our static with 4 dogs, used to be 6 all med/large, no problems. Got full sized cooker, but use the slow cooker a lot. Got one of those large outdoor plastic storage cupboards as well to store seldom used things in.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS