Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Living in a caravan....  (Read 8545 times)

SophieLeeds

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Yorkshire
Living in a caravan....
« on: August 31, 2015, 11:07:01 am »
Hi all  :wave:

Not sure if this should be in the 'buildings' section, so please move if needs be!

My partner and I have the opportunity to move to a piece of land with much more land, totaling over 100 acres. We'd need to live in a caravan for at least the first 2-3 years. Ideally I think two caravans, one for sleeping and one for cooking/washing in would be best. Does anyone have any experience living in a caravan (static) for an extended period? What are the pro's and cons you found? We'd be able to hook up to water and electric, would probably try to avoid using gas where possible. The land requires extensive work, and I'm concerned that living in such close quarters could drive us both bonkers!

We'd also have to 'split' our duties and time between our present home and the new one so that we could still look after our livestock until they all got moved across. The journey between the two is about 45 minutes. We have no children so that's not a concern.

Thoughts/advice both negative and positive welcome!
"The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops or livestock, but the cultivation and perfection of human beings"

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Living in a caravan....
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 11:29:08 am »
Static caravans can be remarkably spacious, and, like boats, have lots of really clever storage.

Unless you are used to a rambling old farmhouse or a mansion, I wouldn't be too sure you need two caravans for just two of you.  Especially if you are keeping on the old place for a while.

If it were me, I'd be more inclined to think I'd want a second space as a workshop or something ;)

Heating and condensation would be the two major issues.  If you don't want gas, you could fit a small log burner - they really heat up the space, you don't need a very big one!  If you can get it warm enough that you can leave a window ajar (or similar) for ventilation, that'll help with the condensation too.  And if you get one with a flat top / cooking ring on top, you can do one-pot all-day stews and so on  :yum:

The other main issue is mud coming in, and muddy boots storage.  So some sort of covered porch, even an awning (made sufficiently wind-ripping-off-proof) to let you take boots off outside would make a big difference.

There are two types of static caravan.  The holiday type are thin-skinned, and lose heat over winter, so may need insulation (depending on how many rooms and the size and reach of any log burner or other heating.)  The 'park home' type are designed for year-round living and are properly insulated.  For 2-3 years, if you can afford it, I'd try to get one of the latter. ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 11:30:41 am »
Oh, and something else to consider - wet clothes drying area.  Unless there's a well-equipped launderette nearby!  :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SophieLeeds

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 11:38:30 am »
Thanks Sally. I mention two caravans because my partner stays up much much later than I do watching television, and is a general heavy footed elephant!

A porch also sounds like a great idea, I have concerns about mess and also not sure how we'd get by on the laundry/frozen foods front... not sure if you can get a washing machine fitted into a caravan?

Log burner sounds brilliant  ;D - hadn't thought of that and I was already mourning my rayburn. There'll certainly be lots of excess wood that we could get through.
"The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops or livestock, but the cultivation and perfection of human beings"

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 12:19:02 pm »
Wind can be a problem.  Site taking the prevailing wind direction into account and anchor down well. I spent three years in an elderly van that had been resisted once too often, eventually ours peeled its roof off in a winter storm...

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 12:46:52 pm »
I used a launderette when I was in a caravan - but I was on my own, there were no mains services, and there was a good launderette nearby.

There's no reason a washing machine couldn't be fitted into a caravan, as you say you will have water and electric.  But the condensation would be an issue, you'd need good ventilation etc.

Equally, a freezer creates a huge amount of condensation.

Are there any outbuildings or could you put up a shed or something?  Condensation-making appliances might be better outwith the caravan if it's feasible ;)

AnnS

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 01:58:23 pm »
We have a fully winterised static, use it a lot for holidays, expensive to use the central heating(gas bottles) but that is probably because we have to buy from the site owner. Best thing we bought was an electric dehumidifier, that makes a big difference.

AnnS

SophieLeeds

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 02:23:07 pm »
One of the first buildings going up will be a barn, so looking at the above I should put the washing machine (hate launderettes) in the barn, and make sure the caravan is protected from the wind from the barn.

My main worry now is that we'll drive each other crazy!  :roflanim:

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2015, 02:23:28 pm »
We had 2and a porta cabin in the middle. I Put a second hand rabern in the middle whith the kitchen. When I sold it I never lost a penny. The kitchen second hand. The heat warmed the 2 vans. Lived like that for 4 yeres. Sine I have put solar panels up on the roof dawn to a 1kw inverta to power computer and charge phones. The cost was 3 thousand all in. Very cool pad

SophieLeeds

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2015, 02:36:45 pm »
We had 2and a porta cabin in the middle. I Put a second hand rabern in the middle whith the kitchen. When I sold it I never lost a penny. The kitchen second hand. The heat warmed the 2 vans. Lived like that for 4 yeres. Sine I have put solar panels up on the roof dawn to a 1kw inverta to power computer and charge phones. The cost was 3 thousand all in. Very cool pad

VF - did you have to go outside to get between the two?

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2015, 04:26:36 pm »
We spent 15 months in 2 small (2or3 berth) towing caravans.

Having a second one made a big difference but that is because they were so small, a static would be different.

Put your valuables in storage as nothing we did cured the damp and clothes went a bit mouldy (in a way that will never wash out).

The problem of mice in the bed (and everywhere else) was mostly cured by getting a cat.

Despite my best efforts in insulating as much as I could we still had problems with indoor pipes freezing, dishes freezing solid to the sink and one day the cutlery drawer filled with snow (driven in through an air vent).

We strapped the caravans down which was worthwhile - a few weeks after we moved out and I had taken the straps off one of the caravans was blown over by the wind, I always had a slight fear that something like this might have happened when we were in it.

We were able to connect to mains electric which probably made the difference between surviving the winter and not.

It was a character building experience, especially for my wife who had to deal with everything on her own when I was away for work, but it did mean we got to live on our land and start doing the things we wanted to.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2015, 05:26:20 pm »
I assume you have planning permission. :eyelashes:

Friends of mine stayed in theirs with their baby daughter for 2 years.  They put two statics at right angles to each other and built decking between them with a ramp to the ground - for baby to play on and pram to be easily wheeled down.  It also served as an outdoor area to sit on in nice weather.  Had a few glasses of wine there with Gina while Mark was building  :excited: :innocent:

They used one as living accommodation, the other as storage with a covered passageway between them - larder, laundry room and cupboards.  They had a log burner too, and well vented double glazed windows
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 05:28:28 pm by doganjo »
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2015, 07:12:25 pm »
NO the cabin had no light. So I cut the end of the cabin and put door and window in put rot wool in. Too. The caravan were facing each other so doors faced each other. The bedroom was onley for night use. The Charlwood stove is better than the raeburn. Bigger logs 6 inch flew and whith the casing of heating a kettle is easy. Don't worry about condition wreck the first caravan and take out kitchen beds etc. Put double  bed in and bolt from under neath then put stud wall and doors and carpet TV etc.. Use bunks or single beds each side. I then put wooden floor in. Then run 12volt strip ldone. The other van put the 2 fridge  in on gas use leds  again and not gas. Put check error plate on the floor easer than eney think else. Again get a full cooker use second hand stuff strong error and better. Kitchen water heater is a must gas. Load fire up at night and no cold mornings. Looking about I think it could be done cheaper. Some vans have 2 doors. The cabin can be used as a store or tools etc

SophieLeeds

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2015, 08:53:16 am »
.Put your valuables in storage as nothing we did cured the damp and clothes went a bit mouldy (in a way that will never wash out).

The problem of mice in the bed (and everywhere else) was mostly cured by getting a cat.

We will still have full use of where we are now (not too sure if we'll sell it yet) so will hopefully only move the bare essentials across with us for now.

Mice in the bed!  :o .... first job may have to be a trip to the cat sanctuary!

SophieLeeds

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2015, 08:56:16 am »
Had a few glasses of wine there with Gina while Mark was building  :excited: :innocent:

Doganjo - you almost make it sound alright! I think my biggest problem is my worry about having my own 'space'... will resort to wine if things don't go to plan  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS