Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: getting nervous  (Read 4159 times)

The Woodsiders

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Near Horley in Surrey
getting nervous
« on: September 05, 2015, 09:35:41 pm »
Hi all, we are just about to collect 6 Poll Dorset Ewes in lamb which are due to lamb in October, trying to get some knowledge crammed into the old brain box I obtained a copy of Tim Tynes book, reading through it I am now getting very nervous about the lambing, we also breed pigs and not much worries me about them giving birth, am I worrying too much? should I kit myself out with all he recommends or just let common sense prevail?? and have the bare essentials. I would add that we do have sheepy friends who can help but I do like to depend on myself than trouble others.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
Re: getting nervous
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 07:51:56 am »
A lambing kit is essential ......... even if you don't use any of it!  There are plenty of previous treads on what is essential
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Paulie

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 08:40:37 am »
From a first timer, don't leave anything to chance, when you need it you need it now!!  :)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2015, 08:52:51 am »
http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/livestock/sheep/lambing-box/

This is what we have in ours. We didn't use the prolapse spoon, the milk bottles or the tube feeder for years but they don't go off, and whan you need them - almost always at 2am on a Sunday morning, you them them right away.  :thumbsup:

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2015, 09:10:38 am »
... and I used the tube feeder with my first lambs .... triplets and very small ........ so be a good girl guide and 'be prepared'
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 09:12:14 am »
Your best friend will be the experienced sheep farmer from up the road. Get talking to him, tell him you're a first time sheep keeper and I'll bet he will give you his 'phone number to call in an emergency!

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2015, 12:17:36 pm »
I wouldn't worry too much about lambing, just keep an eye on them when they're close. If you have any problems call the vet and they're always happy to help in any way. I pulled my first lambs this year and I must admit before I did it it felt daunting, but the joy afterwards feels so good. Dorsets are easy lambers and will usually give birth without any assitance, but be on hand just in case. I shouldn't worry its very rare that sheep need a helping hand when giving birth, that is the traditional breeds. I kept dorsets for a few years and loved them, the only problem I had with them was the fact they came into season at the wrong time of year and could lamb twice a year. I find getting the feed spot on during pregnancy is crucial, as you want them to be fed but not too fat when it comes to lambing. I put licks down for them and feed blocks too, plus some hay and the odd bag of cake, when they have feed blocks that is. Like what was said before a lambing kit is essential. A lambing kit includes, would you believe it, shears to get rid of any over hanging wool near the udder. Iodine, some lubricant gel for lambing, a few long orange gloves just in case, rubber rings and calciject and a needle in case she is low on calcium. Don't feed her any food for a few hrs after birth, as this can relax her womb and could cause her to prolapse. Warm water and honey for her to regain her strength after birthing is good, alternatively water will do. Don't worry you'll be fine, if you have any problems you can speak to your vet or your local sheep farmers, or even ask us. Lambing is an exciting time and the joy of seeing a newborn is indescribably beautiful. When you see a ewe giving birth watch her for a time, if she keeps pushing and the lamb doesn't move any more out of the backend, then go in and pull it, but patience is key because the last thing which you should do is interfere with birthing naturally. Remember when pulling a lamb make sure it is facing the right way, the correct presentation is front legs forward and the head forward. Ease the head out of the backend gently pulling back the skin of the backend, then gently pull each leg individually asd the ewe is pushing and gently ease the lamb out.
http://www.smallholderseries.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=413:lambing-3-when-the-shepherd-needs-to-intervene-and-when-to-call-the-vet&catid=29:sheep&Itemid=141
This may help to do with lambing. There are also youtube videos about it and I bought this book many years ago it shows you how to lamb a ewe.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sheep-Ailments-Recognition-Eddie-Straiton/dp/186126397X/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1441538202&sr=1-3
I hope this helps and if you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask us and we will be happy to help :)
All the best :thumbsup:
This may also help.....
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Manual-Lambing-Techniques-Agnes-Winter/dp/1861265743/ref=pd_sim_14_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=121NNE0RM23GVZFEH0K1&dpSrc=sims&dpST=_AC_UL320_SR242%2C320_
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 12:23:37 pm by waterbuffalofarmer »
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

The Woodsiders

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Near Horley in Surrey
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2015, 03:28:46 pm »
Thank you all for your response, hope my post about kit did not come across as "I would not need anything" I will get myself sorted out this coming week with all the bits and pieces and as we did with our first pig litter a few years ago now, we will  let nature take its course and keep a close eye on things, many thanks again and I will keep you posted.

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2015, 03:30:53 pm »
It just shows, its all about experience.  We lamb over a thousand ewes, and it would never occur to me to worry.  However, as we just have 3 sows and are pretty new to pigs, I can't sleep for days before one is due, and am terrified!

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2015, 04:16:41 pm »
It just shows, its all about experience.  We lamb over a thousand ewes, and it would never occur to me to worry.  However, as we just have 3 sows and are pretty new to pigs, I can't sleep for days before one is due, and am terrified!
I agree. Its weird though isn't it that us humans are the ones worrying our socks off and the animal in question is as cool as a cucumber. Its like we're the ones having the lambs :roflanim:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2015, 12:08:07 pm »
I adore lambing, we lamb on the yard under lights and then every available space is turned into pens.  Like being on a different planet for six weeks, living eating breathing lambs, complete with orange hands and automaton like tendencies by week three, just be prepared, get a kit together, some hurdles, hoard your twine, get high energy licks in ready.

One item that ive seen at wynnstay is a Colostrum lamb paste, worth checking out, not seen one before only calf one.

We give oral antibiotics as a routine measure against watery mouth, when navels are sprayed.  Orojet.  Available at vets. 

Just chuck yourself in, it's a thrilling, sometimes heartbreaking time, but so worth it when you see your lambs race across the field bouncing with joy.   Worth every minute. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS