Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: wild or 'free' camping  (Read 8389 times)

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
Re: wild or 'free' camping
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2015, 11:11:47 pm »
It's a funny story, FW - but there's a fair chance one of those bovines died from eating a tent peg.

We have so many tourists here I'm afraid I've turned into a Grumpy Owd Gerrorf My Lander.  :rant:

Welcome Sally!  :hug:

Garmoran

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Lochaber, Highland
Re: wild or 'free' camping
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2015, 02:31:28 pm »
Uh oh!! Wrong time of year to let me post on this. I'm going to sound grumpy too, although it's good to hear that there are people who regard fenced areas as out of bounds. Our problem is that the grazing is not fenced, so is regarded as abandoned empty ground providing free camping. It probably never enters the head of most of these campers that the land is in use and people actually pay to rent it.

I have wild-camped myself, but always tried to be out of sight if possible. I feel sure that the free access legislation includes some stipulation that camping should take place at some distance from the road, but here most people seem to camp on the edge of the road: there is one caravan at the moment with the legs of one side actually on the tarmac (and on the inside of a bend, which messes up visibility as well).

In favour of most campers, they usually leave little or no trace behind, but perhaps you can tell that I feel we are taken for granted a bit   :huff:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS