Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: wild or 'free' camping  (Read 8388 times)

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
wild or 'free' camping
« on: August 24, 2015, 07:41:19 pm »
due to the success of the NC 500 route around the North, there have been comments made by those who have travelled the route that there are a lack of 'wild camping' sites.
I asked one specific person who mentioned it on facebook what he meant as under the Land Reform Act he could pretty much pitch up anywhere but his answer amused me no end.
He said that most of the area was covered in sheep and rock! Welcome to the Highlands I responded!
But anyway, he also observed that the areas of ground that did look suitable for camping were fenced off. Probably because they were crofting areas I would suppose.
It did get me to thinking how many of us would actually allow people to wild camp or free camp as its also known if they came and knocked on our doors and asked permission?
I probably would, but warned them that they find themselves sharing their tents with all manners of livestock  ;D
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: wild or 'free' camping
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 07:55:33 pm »
I probably would too.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 07:56:24 pm »
We have on occasion and never had any issues. I spent years cycle and canoe touring, wild camping as I went, so it seems churlish to turn others away if they want to do similar.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

winkhound

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 08:55:59 pm »
having done it our selves all over Europe, we positively welcome people! mostly motor-homers because they require less.

The french have it right...http://www.france-passion.co.uk/

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 10:40:42 pm »
It's not always easy to find the landowner when houses are so few and far between.  We used to wild camp a lot when the children were younger, often high up in the Corrieyairack pass (now blocked off I believe).  Never did find out if there was a single owner, or several, or who they were.  I don't think that anyone objects as long as the area is left as it's found, with no litter or faeces visible.  Not everyone is clean and tidy though, so you have to make a judgement.

We have only a few acres, so it's fairly obvious who owns what, and we do sometimes get campers wanting to stay the night.  So far they have all been great, and we still keep in touch with some, especially one couple doing a world tour in a Landrover ingeniously converted into self sufficient accommodation, who send us reports from all their trips.   We prefer campers who don't need to use our facilities ie they have their own, not nipping behind a hedge,  and who understand about livestock and gates.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 10:42:30 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 07:51:22 am »
yes I suppose you would have to take the rough with the smooth, the occassional camper who spoils it for the rest.
I did try and persuade our local community hall committee to open up the big area of grass next to the hall for a bit of camping, no facilities as such unless they opened up the hall for toilet access but a shop and hotel just a short walk away but they flatly refused as no-one wanted to take responsibility and would perhaps cause an insurance issue.
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 09:16:14 am »
Wild camping I thought was supposed to happen above 1000ft and you shouldn't know anyone has been there.

Here it is a problem on the lower fells and around the lake shores. They light fires and leave nails in them from the wood they've burnt. They leave litter, excretment, tyre tracks, abandoned tents. It spoils the area and spoils it for those do clean up.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 11:13:41 am »
I have had people camp on my land without asking and have had to ask them to leave, because I either had animals in it or was growing it for hay. I don't mind if people ask me, I only have a problem if they just assume its OK, because they do sometimes litter and leave it there. I once found a blanket and loads of litter in my field, its dreadful.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2015, 12:43:47 pm »
When Mr F was at school, he and a friend went camping by motorbike to Skye.  At that time he knew not the slightest thing about livestock.  They set up camp, went off to the pub and when they came back they found their tent and camp entirely demolished by cows, one still happily ensconced on the canvas  :roflanim:  Apparently they spent a very uncomfortable night in a bus shelter, and the tent was unusable ever after.

Later when we went wild camping with the family, the worst creature problem was ticks aaaaaagh!  I hate those things.  Now I have a proper tick remover.  When we bought our smallholding, we made sure it was in a tick-free area  :thumbsup:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 02:01:30 pm »
It's a funny story, FW - but there's a fair chance one of those bovines died from eating a tent peg.

We have so many tourists here I'm afraid I've turned into a Grumpy Owd Gerrorf My Lander.  :rant:

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2015, 02:20:07 pm »
Most tourists do not wish to cause residents and landowners problems. They just don't understand the countryside and it can cause conflict. Equally there are difficult landowners who can be very rude.

If you are going to visit somewhere whats wrong with using the camping facilities. There are plenty of quiet sites and sites for very small numbers. Often bringing additional income to small farms.

crofterswife

• Joined Apr 2015
HaveRe: wild or 'free' camping
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2015, 04:34:44 pm »
Have to agree with Harmony about using proper camping sites. We have a real problem with people going behind my husband's shed and using it as a toilet. Truly unpleasant.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2015, 04:40:31 pm »
It's a funny story, FW - but there's a fair chance one of those bovines died from eating a tent peg.

We have so many tourists here I'm afraid I've turned into a Grumpy Owd Gerrorf My Lander.  :rant:

It wasn't meant as an example of what we should do, just as an illustration that many folk don't have the first clue about livestock (even folk who learn later), and don't even think about them in the equation, don't notice they're there.

I don't think that in fact any animals were injured in the making of this tale, as although he then knew nothing about livestock, Mr F did know how to camp.  Tent pegs were all securely hammered in and everything else securely hidden inside the tent, which was then sat on by the cow, so no access to dangerous stuff.

I get your point though.  Plastic bags are a case in point, and they can just be blown in by the wind.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2015, 06:21:12 pm »
an illustration that many folk don't have the first clue about livestock (even folk who learn later), and don't even think about them in the equation, don't notice they're there.

I know what you mean - I often feel terrible remembering things I did before I knew better.  Sometimes when I'm grumbling about some rassin' fassin' tourist doing that exact same thing today...   :innocent:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2015, 07:33:05 pm »
an illustration that many folk don't have the first clue about livestock (even folk who learn later), and don't even think about them in the equation, don't notice they're there.

I know what you mean - I often feel terrible remembering things I did before I knew better.  Sometimes when I'm grumbling about some rassin' fassin' tourist doing that exact same thing today...   :innocent:

;D   I think we become completely different people as we grow older.

Turns out too that the place they had camped was the designated wild camping field, as allocated by the farmer.  Maybe he liked seeing campers squashed.  Imagine though if they'd been inside the tent  :o

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS