Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Zemlbaba  (Read 3090 times)

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
Zemlbaba
« on: August 18, 2015, 06:00:23 pm »
Or at least my version since I don't like to mess about too much or end up with a soggy mess.
Zemlbaba best translates as 'old woman of the earth' or 'earth granny'. Lots of recipes on the web but they tend to involve a mushy mess and egg custards...
Anyway:
Line a pudding bowl with buttered bread (crusts off).. butter to the bowl. Brush heavily with milk. Drop ina thicklayer of sliced apple, a few sultanas, some crushed nuts (I only had almonds handy buy wallnuts or hazel is more traditional) and a sprinkling of cinnamon and some sugar. Cover with a layer of milk soaked bread.. repeat the apple+ layer and yet again.. I managed three good layers pressed down.
Seal the top with buttered bread (butter down) brush with milk and sprinkle with sugar to get a crusty topping. I sealed around the bowl edges with soaked crusts.

Bake about 45mins.

Back when i was a kid and we were short of money that was sometimes dinner. I'm sitting here with my second helping and I'm about full....

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
Re: Zemlbaba
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 06:20:01 pm »
Sounds yummy, and easy, which is a bonus for me!

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 09:31:53 am »
That sounds lovely! My ma used to make things like that, sweet or savoury when times were hard, it was always called Eat and be Thankful!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 09:52:30 pm »
You can do a savoury version with vegetables and gravy or with some meat/mince
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 11:04:24 pm »
strange I have never heard of it. So is it like a version of bread and butter pudding then?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 06:46:33 am »
strange I have never heard of it. So is it like a version of bread and butter pudding then?
Correct. A Czech variant without the mushy mixed up middle and simplified for lazy cooks....

I suppose with modern translation engines anyone could dig about in foreign language recipe sites. Most peasant food recipes wandered across europe anyway and just got adjusted. Childhood favourites were a whole slew of different czech dumplings, potato pancakes, meatloaf, beef olives, strudel and the christmas baking...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS