Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: limping ram, to vet or not to vet?  (Read 20534 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: limping ram, to vet or not to vet?
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2015, 12:02:37 pm »
I was fortunate when my first vet 'call out' came about. The young vet that came on the visit made a point of teaching me how to vaccinate and talked me through his examination (including listening for healthy burps on the goats) without me even asking. 
As pgkevet says there are good, bad, indifferent in all professions (I come from a nursing background and can agree with that statement from my own experience).
One of my daughters has had her heart set on becoming a Vet since she was 2, even now she says that her idea of a good vet is one that communicates well with the  humans as much as treating the animal as it's them that need to continue the care once the vet goes back to the practise
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Thyme

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Machynlleth, Powys
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2015, 12:09:09 pm »
I do think my vets here are all very good, but they are young.  Generally they are hardworking, very motivated, have livestock of their own, and are up on all the latest research and best practices, but also they know that a lot of the farmers here won't react well to a bright young thing giving them an extended lecture on the latest research, and it won't help the animal if the farmer dismisses them entirely, so they choose their battles.

One of them has noticeably shaky hands, and I have heard the farmers comment negatively about his hands shaking due to nervousness and inexperience.  Having watched him at work myself including for stuff like a routine cat exam I've observed that his hands shake consistently and I expect it is neurological -- he'll never be a brain surgeon but he can manage GP stuff just fine.  So I've spoken up for him to the farmers but it's uphill for him to get their respect.
Shetland sheep, Copper Marans chickens, Miniature Silver Appleyard ducks, and ginger cats.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2015, 12:39:23 pm »
My first thought when you said pain around the band was CODD, and that is it contagious, and doesn't heal up very quickly...

Not saying it is, but just sharing what came into my head when I read your post :).

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2015, 12:39:28 pm »
From what I ve been taught the use of a bs on an abscess that is yet to break through could cause a wall around the abscess wwhich would cause even more pain due to the fact that it can't track out.  In my experience when I ve had ponies that have succumb to "gravel", only two occasions, but they're lameness was intermittent, farrier brought in and abscess pared.

On another occasion when n do our cob was being produced the vet jabbed her didn't pare and the poor mare was beside herself and her producer, until new vet went in again and did the job proper.

I know different species but if it is gravel, flint, it will travel
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 12:41:52 pm by Hellybee »

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2015, 12:40:51 pm »
Get the vet out doll,  whilst your waiting soak his foot and have another look x

Thyme

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Machynlleth, Powys
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2015, 12:47:15 pm »
My first thought when you said pain around the band was CODD, and that is it contagious, and doesn't heal up very quickly...

Not saying it is, but just sharing what came into my head when I read your post :).

Hmm, after a quick google of CODD... if it were that, and I understand you're not saying it is, my question would be how he could have been exposed to it.  The only sheep that's been brought in to my flock or my mentor's flock in the past year has been the one I bought as a tup lamb in October, and he was quarantined, has had no lameness, and I know his breeder well enough to think I would know if she'd had that in her flock before or since.  The pasture my boys are on now was grazed by another farmer's cattle followed by sheep last year but has been empty since the start of winter -- don't know whether CODD can linger in the ground?  And of course there's been the occasional neighbour lamb escaped into mine...
Shetland sheep, Copper Marans chickens, Miniature Silver Appleyard ducks, and ginger cats.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2015, 01:12:08 pm »
Yeah, like I said it was just a thought that popped into my head.  I've never had it but had a friend who did and I recall she said it took ages to clear up and the vet didn't spot it so it wasn't getting the correct treatment for a while until they realised what it was.  Seems there is a link to cattle: http://hccmpw.org.uk/index.php/tools/required/files/download?fID=3908

Fingers crossed your vet will sort it whatever it is :).

Thyme

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Machynlleth, Powys
« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2015, 01:12:54 pm »
I shall report back within a few hours!

Thyme

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Machynlleth, Powys
« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2015, 05:06:29 pm »
Okay, proper diagnosis:  he has a small hole at the bottom outside of his hoof which probably had a thorn in it at one time, and a small swelling at the coronet directly above that.  The vet did a little bit of paring around the hole but thinks that most likely any remaining abscess is up at the coronet swelling.  He said it looks to him like it may have already drained, perhaps partially, with some remaining at the top which may either open and drain or just be resolved internally.  He didn't think it was a good idea for him to lance it, but I should monitor it over the next days and blue spray it if it does open.  He says the ram appears to be on the mend but gave him a shot of Metacam and a shot of Tilmicosin to be sure.  I asked about penning and the vet's opinion after seeing him in the pasture was that he is fine where he is and if penned would be more likely to hurt himself trying to get out.  He predicts the ram should be fine within a week but if I have concerns after that I should let him know.

I'm glad to have had the vet out, I would not have spotted the hole or the swelling as both were pretty subtle, and now I'll be much better able to spot anything similar in future.  And of course it could have been something worse, we discussed CODD and were relieved to rule it out.  And the vet says his feet are otherwise very good ("nice white lines") which is certainly good to hear :relief:

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2015, 05:10:22 pm »
Yay :D

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2015, 05:22:30 pm »
..so next time any sheep limps you'll be rolling it over, washing it's foot and getting the hand lens out...of course that time it'll be something different :) ...

Thyme

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Machynlleth, Powys
« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2015, 05:27:45 pm »
..so next time any sheep limps you'll be rolling it over, washing it's foot and getting the hand lens out...of course that time it'll be something different :) ...

no doubt!

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2015, 06:17:09 pm »
good news Thyme. Im glad your mind is not at rest. Lets hope Mr Ram is on the mend
Is it time to retire yet?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS