Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: limping ram, to vet or not to vet?  (Read 20538 times)

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
Re: limping ram, to vet or not to vet?
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2015, 12:20:55 pm »
Could you transport him in a dog crate or similar, in the car.  He's not that big.

Thyme

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Machynlleth, Powys
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2015, 12:34:49 pm »
Could you transport him in a dog crate or similar, in the car.  He's not that big.

If it were one of the tup lambs I would, but this one is 1.5 years old, he's 40kg.  Sire of some of the ones you saw :)
Shetland sheep, Copper Marans chickens, Miniature Silver Appleyard ducks, and ginger cats.

Keepers

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2015, 07:27:43 pm »
If in doubt I give pen and strep and an antiflamitory like Loxicom,
give the pen and strep every day for 5 days and then see what happens

Can't see the point in injecting stuff into him when you don't know what is wrong.

So If you do not know what is wrong its best to let the animal suffer until you can get a vet around?

If I rung the vet and said one of my tups was limping, he would just turn around and tell me inject it with painkiller and antibiotic and get back to him if it doesn't take effect

I thought that was the point of farmers keeping medicines on site, to self treat in order to prevent suffering and welfare issues within the flock

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2015, 08:50:37 pm »
Mmmm yes when it comes to a.bs and topical, but not anti inflammatorys on site, vet only.If an animal is limping I don't see what giving antibiotics is going to do, if there's nothing wrong with his feet or there's no swelling and heat, sign of infection.........mHe's probably done it joshing with the others and he s pulled summat.  I d pen him up and see what vets says and does.

Imafluffybunny

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2015, 02:02:40 am »
I had one lame for a few days, nothing to see and still pottering around with the others, got vet out and turned out she had a break below her hock.
I sprayed the foot etc but after no improvement got the vet, glad I did, she is in a cast with a good prognosis

Slimjim

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Devon
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2015, 07:49:21 am »
Does your trailer have internal partitions? If you can squash him up a bit, it may stop him bouncing around on the journey.

Thyme

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Machynlleth, Powys
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2015, 11:18:10 am »
Well I would cautiously say that he has improved over yesterday and today.  Still very much limping, but now putting a little weight on it rather than always holding it up.  Still no visible signs of what's wrong aside from the limp itself, and still good in himself.  I'll see how he is tomorrow morning and decide then on whether to get the vet or wait a bit more to see if improvement continues.

I had one lame for a few days, nothing to see and still pottering around with the others, got vet out and turned out she had a break below her hock.
I sprayed the foot etc but after no improvement got the vet, glad I did, she is in a cast with a good prognosis

Thanks for that information, that's the sort of thing that's really helpful to know.

Does your trailer have internal partitions? If you can squash him up a bit, it may stop him bouncing around on the journey.

It does, and I hadn't thought of that, so thank you.  It's a p6e with one internal partition, so if I have him in the smaller part that likely will keep him more contained and supported.
Shetland sheep, Copper Marans chickens, Miniature Silver Appleyard ducks, and ginger cats.

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2015, 08:42:03 pm »
If he continues to improve by himself, I would let him be.  If he were in a commercial flock that'ts what would happen, and never known one die of limping ;-)

Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2015, 08:54:15 pm »

If it were one of the tup lambs I would, but this one is 1.5 years old, he's 40kg.  Sire of some of the ones you saw :)

Sorry, not thinking straight. :dunce:

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2015, 09:43:44 pm »
I have until today  been biting my tongue about this thread but I can't help my self but post, the animal is lame!  Has been for well over a week!  You  havnt the slightest idea why yet your discussing weather or not to transport it to the vets your self to save a few quid???  over a week is far to long to allow an animal to suffer and is verging on neglect, you can't use ignorance as an excuse as more than a few people have said get the vet out so I can only assume the worst!
If you can't afford veterinary treatment for any animal you shouldn't have them simple!!!
Now you've said it's now less lame, this doesn't however mean that it's any less Ill or sick so please please do the right thing... 
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 09:49:38 pm by verdifish »

Thyme

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Machynlleth, Powys
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2015, 10:02:53 pm »
verdifish, I appreciate your concern, but please calm down.  I am not trying to avoid cost, I can afford the vet.  I am concerned as I have said about the risk that a trailer ride could hurt him more.  Antibiotics and hoof inspection are what my very experienced mentor does if a sheep has been lame for more than a day or two, so that is what I did.  When that didn't clear it up, I came here for advice, the majority of which has been to keep monitoring him as long as he is improving, and to take him to the vet (or get the vet to him) if he is not.  Given that he seems to be improving it seems most likely it is a sprain.  As I have said, if he does not continue to steadily improve I will get the vet.

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2015, 10:22:38 pm »
verdifish, I appreciate your concern, but please calm down.  I am not trying to avoid cost, I can afford the vet.  I am concerned as I have said about the risk that a trailer ride could hurt him more.  Antibiotics and hoof inspection are what my very experienced mentor does if a sheep has been lame for more than a day or two, so that is what I did.  When that didn't clear it up, I came here for advice, the majority of which has been to keep monitoring him as long as he is improving, and to take him to the vet (or get the vet to him) if he is not.  Given that he seems to be improving it seems most likely it is a sprain.  As I have said, if he does not continue to steadily improve I will get the vet.

Calm down???  The fact still remains that due to your inaction for whatever reason the animal has been in pain for well over a week which is something prompt action to involve the vet could have prevented!  if your sheep have been seen by the vet in the last year you could have got painkillers without a vet visit!

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2015, 07:40:22 am »
I have until today  been biting my tongue about this thread but I can't help my self but post

Maybe next time you shouldn't bite your tongue, and maybe then you'd be able to contribute earlier in the thread in a more reasonable tone with your advice?

There have been plenty of responses and updates in this topic, from the OP and experienced keepers. You have a view on what action should be taken now, which could have been helpful to Thyme in considering what to do next. It's far less helpful when scattered with exclamation marks and assumptions.

Only one contributor here can see the animal in question. The OP has had lots of advice, has a mentor, has updated regularly and is making a judgement about whether a trailer journey would do more harm than good.

I'm sure you were trying to do the best by the animal, and you may be absolutely correct in your advice, but you seem as determined to berate the OP as to help them.

In future please save the judgement for a PM or yourself, and stick to assisting with the topic in question - it's far more likely to have the positive effect you were presumably seeking.

(Please do not reply in this topic to me - use PM or start another topic - let's keep this on-topic.)

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2015, 08:04:01 am »
Yes keep us updated Thyme, as a novice shepherdess myself it is useful to see the progress and advice. I always struggle with lame animals (e.g horses) on how much painkiller and when since if it is a sprain it can encourage them to prance around when infact a bit of limping would be better.  I have only had limping sheep problems once in my year of experience, it was after the vet gave them all Heptavec in the shoulder and they all limped for 48 hours!

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2015, 08:34:27 am »
The only other advice I can offer is to pen him with a mate next door so his movement is limited for a few days. Sometimes I don't agree with limiting movement as can make animals stiff but after issues with a goat kid if he is straining it more by walking to water etc this might help. Vet would only give AB and metacam as mentioned but you could manipulate the joints and squeeze gently to see if you get a reaction.

I have found vets not that great at diagnosing so I don't blame you for asking here as experience usually gets a better answer! I have a lame one but if you look closely At coronet band there is a tiny crack I think from old abscess. Dirt sometimes gets in if horn cracked so I tend to dip foot in hibiscrub solution which will kill the germs. Good luck.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS