Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Questionnaire: Foot Disease in Sheep  (Read 5107 times)

ZVH

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Hertfordshire
  • BVetMed MRCVS pending
Questionnaire: Foot Disease in Sheep
« on: August 12, 2015, 09:54:29 pm »
Hello there,

I hope this is an appropriate place to post this - someone do let me know if not!

My name's Zara, and I'm a final year veterinary student at the Royal Veterinary College, University of London. I'm posting here to advertise a questionnaire I have created, which is looking at recognition of diseases of the foot in sheep, and the methods selected by sheep farmers to treat them. The data I collect will form the basis of my final year dissertation, although I do hope that the research, when complete, may prove useful in the sheep farming and veterinary sectors also.

Although not from a farming background myself, on my journey through university I have gained a great interest in farm animal practice. I have a particular enthusiasm for small ruminants and their welfare, and believe that we should be paying as much attention to lameness in sheep as we currently do in cattle. I hope to continue pursuing these interests when I graduate next year.

I settled on directing my research project in this field after spending some time in several large animal practices. Lameness is, of course, a considerable problem in sheep farming, from the standpoints of both economics and welfare. However, when I discussed managing lameness in sheep whilst in practice, it seemed that many vets were of the general consensus that they aren't often presented with lame sheep, and hence don't always make it much of a priority in annual flock health planning. Thus, it must be assumed that farmers are taking on the vast majority of cases of lame sheep and treating affected animals themselves on farm.

Within the last few years, there has been a lot of newly published data relating to diseases of the feet in sheep, which has started to alter some of the thinking in the veterinary sphere as to how we should approach treating and managing these animals. I am interested in seeing whether the go-to methods used by those keeping sheep are reflective of current best known clinical practice.

Many vets proactively talk to their cattle farming clients about lameness, but far less so in sheep, and I am also interested in seeing whether more communication on this front could be similarly beneficial in recognising and treating lame sheep effectively.

The questionnaire takes around 15 minutes to complete and is formed of three sections. The first collects some basic details about the farm and flock. The second part contains two photographs, which asks respondents to identify the disease they believe to be present, and then to elaborate on the methods they would use to treat it were they to see it in their flock. The third section ascertains the level of veterinary involvement in lameness management in the flock, and what would prompt bringing in the vet.

Getting as many respondents as possible is key to this project's success, so hence I have made it my mission to distribute the online version as widely as I can! I have been in touch with several breed societies, who have already sent the link out to their members.

The greater variety of sheep farms that I collect in the responses, the better, as this will give me many variables to compare. Whether you have 3 sheep or 3000, breeds of all varieties, hobby or business - it's all welcome! The only requirements are that respondents are over 18 and reside in the UK, the Isle of Man, or the Channel Islands.

Please do feel free to drop me a message with any further questions if you have them. 

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/DRQFDTV

Thank you for your time!
Sheep farmers - your input into my research project on recognition of foot disease would be greatly appreciated!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Questionnaire: Foot Disease in Sheep
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 11:07:21 am »
This looks like a great project :)

I had some problems with the questionnaire, however. Neither pic looked to me like any disease we see here so I couldn't select treatment as I didn't recognise them.  But then I had to give further information based on the choices I'd made earlier - which I hadn't selected any (except 'Other - ask vet'), but it needed an answer.  So my answers are random nonsense.

Also, we need more than just a picture to make a diagnosis.  Is the sheep lame?  How lame, for how long?  Is the foot hot?  Smelly?  Suppurating? (if not clear from pic.)  Is this a single instance or have I got several sheep like this? 

So I am sorry but I think my answers will go in the 'spoiled ballot papers' box.

Did anyone else manage to identify the conditions and answer the questions?

(I've subsequently been and had a look at the Eblex lameness paper and still don't know what conditions are shown in your survey!)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 11:43:06 am »
Hi Zara,
Im too new to sheep keeping to be able to help you but there are a lot of very experienced people on here that I hope will be able to participate.
Good luck in your studies....we need good and caring vets.
Is it time to retire yet?

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 12:31:05 pm »
I had a look at the survey and would agree with Sally. I am no sheep expert and I haven't had mine for long, but you would need more than just a photo to be able to make a start on a diagnosis.
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 12:52:11 pm »
Totally with SiN here ........ cant possibly diagnose from a picture .... I decided not to finish the survey as my responses would not be a useful addition to any research. 

I have been dealing with sheep feet for many years so generally can identify scald and foot rot.....the former by feel of heat and/or swelling  the latter by smell .... neither by sight.

Would you maybe get a better response if you gave the name of disease and/or more symptoms?
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 01:42:21 pm »
Yeah, I'm afraid I agree. I did the survey but don't think you'd be able to get much use out of the answers, just due to the way the questions are worded. Perhaps you need to re-phrase, re-jig them :).

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 03:38:55 pm »
I, too, struggled to identify the problem with the foot shown in the first photograph and therefore feel my answers would not be sensible.

ZVH

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Hertfordshire
  • BVetMed MRCVS pending
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 07:25:00 pm »
Thank you all for having a bash at it, whether complete or not.  :)

In a previous incarnation, the questionnaire did have an extra question which asked respondents what other symptoms they may associate with the pictured lesion. As happens with these things in the process of refining, and input from others helping with the study, bits get filtered out along the way. That part went out in the 'too complex to effectively analyse' category. I considered changing it from a text box question to a multiple tick box to simplify the problem, but then concerns were raised about the questionnaire being too long.

I'll admit, I was a bit uneasy about getting rid of some parts of the questionnaire, but, in terms of data at least, what's left does give me effectively what I need to prove or disprove my hypothesis. Again, the phrasing is tied into that quite tightly, too.

I do fully appreciate that pictures alone aren't 100% diagnostic, although the images do show certain characteristics that when put together make one condition more likely than the others. There is also some data starting to be published on grading gross lesions of the foot by their appearance, and hence I hoped this might tie in somewhat along that line of thinking.

The reason I haven't given further information regarding the presentation is that this can be quite subjective with different experiences of lameness, and may sway people based on that rather than what is put in front of them. The general idea is to look at the photo as if you've just been shown that foot by someone else, and what your initial line of thinking would be from that. Would that help if that were to be clarified with each of the pictures?

This being said, not being able to feel, smell, poke and prod the foot itself is a limitation of the study, and will be duly noted in the written presentation.  :)

Sallyintnorth - did the questionnaire not allow you to proceed with the only the 'other' option selected? I wasn't aware of that and it certainly shouldn't be doing that - will have to do some tinkering there if so! 'Ask vet' is a perfectly reasonable answer, and one I'm quite interested in as a percentage of the responses.
Sheep farmers - your input into my research project on recognition of foot disease would be greatly appreciated!

Keepers

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2015, 07:52:23 pm »
Hi there  :wave:

Please do post it on TheFarmingForum, I'm sure you will get people who would love to fill it out on there as well as the ones from this site

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2015, 07:54:26 pm »
Sallyintnorth - did the questionnaire not allow you to proceed with the only the 'other' option selected? I wasn't aware of that and it certainly shouldn't be doing that - will have to do some tinkering there if so! 'Ask vet' is a perfectly reasonable answer, and one I'm quite interested in as a percentage of the responses.

No, it made me put something in at least one of the five 'Treatment 1' to Treatment 5' boxes, and then select whether each of those that I'd filled in was effective or ineffective etc.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

ZVH

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Hertfordshire
  • BVetMed MRCVS pending
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2015, 03:59:58 pm »
No, it made me put something in at least one of the five 'Treatment 1' to Treatment 5' boxes, and then select whether each of those that I'd filled in was effective or ineffective etc.

Ah, OK. You can put 'not sure' or 'consult vet' in one of the boxes, and rate as you see fit. 'Not sure' is still a valid answer, I'll discount the rating later on in the analysis. The reason the required answers are switched on is that it's easier for me to assess the responses from an inputted 'not sure' rather than a completely skipped answer, which doesn't tell me why that part wasn't attempted.

Hi there  :wave:

Please do post it on TheFarmingForum, I'm sure you will get people who would love to fill it out on there as well as the ones from this site

Thanks, I signed up to TFF but it doesn't seem to have activated my account properly and I can't post. Will message the moderators!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS