Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bore holes, water wells  (Read 14203 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Bore holes, water wells
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2010, 12:10:09 am »
We have our own well but it's ancient and was dug by hand.  I don't know how the diggers had offended, but they had to dig it on top of a hill - revenge for something bad no doubt!!  The pipes have never frozen, but the well has once run dry when we had too many French people staying and running masses of water straight down the drain.  As we raise the water by electric pump, it does go off in a power cut - longest without was 4 1/2 days, so the livestock are all watered from gravity-fed drinkers using collected rainwater, and we now have an emergency generator as we get a lot of power cuts.
A filter system with UV is standard as doganjo says - there's always E Coli somewhere close to hand in the country  ;D
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Bright Raven

• Joined May 2010
  • North Shropshire
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2011, 08:31:09 pm »
Call me capricious, I am not an unbeliever at all. I would employ a diviner like a shot if I could find a reputable local. Years ago when the Rollright stones (somewhere by Chipping Norton) were guarded by an eccentric lady called Pauline, she showed me how to divine for ley lines. She gave me some metal rods in plastic holders and had me pacing up and down and around the Kings Stone and The Crone.  Well this is over 25 years ago, but I enjoyed the experience and thought the rods moved for me at the time.
Julia xxx 3 acres and a day job!!!! Chickens, Turkeys, Sheep, Pigs, Veggies and Homebrew. Husband, son, pets, chutney and music.
If I am here it's because I am putting my feet up!

waterhouse

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2011, 09:58:11 pm »
A filter system with UV is standard as doganjo says - there's always E Coli somewhere close to hand in the country  ;D

Where did you get the UV system? We've got 10000 litres of rainwater storage but only use it for loos and washing machines

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2011, 12:11:07 am »
One of our sons has a plumbing etc business so he bought and installed it - 'them' in fact as the granny flat has its own too.  I think you can get them through Screwfix or other workies supply places. The whole system costs around £500 - physical filter and UV.  I can ask my son if you wish.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2011, 03:23:31 am »
Call me capricious, I am not an unbeliever at all. I would employ a diviner like a shot if I could find a reputable local. Years ago when the Rollright stones (somewhere by Chipping Norton) were guarded by an eccentric lady called Pauline, she showed me how to divine for ley lines. She gave me some metal rods in plastic holders and had me pacing up and down and around the Kings Stone and The Crone.  Well this is over 25 years ago, but I enjoyed the experience and thought the rods moved for me at the time.
To be honest if you relax enough anyone can do it.  Ian used hazel twigs, but he first of all gave me them to try it myself and I found water with them, then he just cut of a couple of twigs off my own trees - beech I think, and we both did it with them and found field drains.  It's great fun and you can actually buy metal diving rods very cheaply - about £5 I think.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS