Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bore holes, water wells  (Read 14192 times)

Gordon M

• Joined Sep 2009
Bore holes, water wells
« on: March 18, 2010, 07:35:06 am »
My ditches normally run dry around May - June which can be problematic and I thought that a water well would be a good idea. Does anyone know anything about driving boreholes or drilling water wells, companies, costs, surveys etc?
 Gordon M.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Bore holes, water wells
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 10:35:21 am »
Find yourself a water diviner.  Mine found water fo my new house at 12 feet, but there was a huge slab of granite bedrock over it, so he then tried out in the field and found it at 14 feet.  A lot cheaper than a  bore hole - £150 for his time and the pipe, £250 for the digger.  I was told 5 years ago  minimum for a borehole was £2000.  Google for both.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Norfolk Newby

• Joined Aug 2009
  • West Norfolk, UK
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 07:30:02 pm »
This is just something to check, but for houses you need to get a permit from the local water company before you can supply your house with water from a well or borehole. You then have to pay a small sum annually for the use of the well.

Obviously, if you take surface water off your land for watering plants/pigs/horses etc. there shouldn't be any need for permission but as soon as you take water from a well/borehole or - I think - a stream or river, the water company wants to know.

NN
Novice - growing fruit, trees and weeds

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 09:44:40 pm »
This is just something to check, but for houses you need to get a permit from the local water company before you can supply your house with water from a well or borehole. You then have to pay a small sum annually for the use of the well.

Obviously, if you take surface water off your land for watering plants/pigs/horses etc. there shouldn't be any need for permission but as soon as you take water from a well/borehole or - I think - a stream or river, the water company wants to know.

NN
If you sink a well in Scotland you pay nothing to the Council at all, no water charges!  But you must prove that the water is potable (safe for humans to drink)  The water test costs about £120 and will be retested free if it fails.  The answer in most cases is a fail if it is rural so filters are normally required.  A full filter system cost me just short of £500.  For my new house I also had to do porosity tests to ensure the foul water could drain away from the septic tank overflow, and from the rain water drainage.  That cost £300.  Foul water is not permitted to go into a stream or any other watercourse, and a well takes water from below the surface so it is virtually impossible to say it comes from a specific river or underground stream.  I should have thought England and Wales and NI were the same but your local Council planning department will be able to help you.  Hope that helps.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Micko

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 10:31:33 pm »
We looked into it in some detail last year and got onto an excellent company based in Yorkshire who looked into the geological records for us (can give you their details if you fancy). Turned out it would have been too much of a risk (drill down to 110m at cost of 8K with no guarentee of finding water) so decided too much of a risk.

But now wondering about getting a water dowser along to see what they reckon.

Be careful though as had dealings with another company who reckoned water was a certainty and nearly signed up for.

Declan

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Rathfriland, Co.Down
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 12:06:38 am »
Main problem is water is a certainty in all ground conditions as the rock holds aquifers- it just a prt of the sub-surface make-up. Problem is the depth and therefore cost to get the water to the surface. It also depends on the bedrock type with granite being of low permeability and limestones being of high permeability. Therefore the timie taken to recharge your well can vary enormously depending on the ground types. Whereabouts are you? I have got geological maps here that cover parts of Scotland and the North East- I could look up your area and see what type of rock you've got under you.

Declan 

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 08:04:59 am »
We bought our build project with a borehole already drilled so I am not sure of the costs on that but the process of setting up the pump and all the stuff that goes along with is wasn't too difficult or expensive - pump is 60m down and cost us around £550. The down side is when we have a power cut we have no water as the water comes directly into the house with no storage - but a waterbut for emergencies is good. My parents went through the whole process several years ago after my Mum was ill from a sheep dying in the communal well! They got a water diviner and the whole thing went very well.
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Gordon M

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 03:34:16 pm »
Thanks for all the replies folks, for the meantime, a quick and cheap fix is being made. 4 x 1000 litre cubes linked in series with alcathene pipe which will fill from the ditch, hopefully before it runs dry.
Declan, a very kind offer indeed, I'm in Clackmannanshire near Dollar.
Another problem is that the land is off grid so an electrical submersible pump may not be an option unless I also get a wind turbine. This could be a costly idea!!

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 05:11:19 pm »
Annie, how has yours coped with the frost? We get our water from next door and we all run out today as the borehole pipe is frozen solid. Thank goodcness they also have a spring feed to the tank but it was nearly a whole day without.. :&>

Bright Raven

• Joined May 2010
  • North Shropshire
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2010, 06:19:20 pm »
I am following this thread with great interest, especially to those of you who have employed water diviners with successful results. Where do you find a reputable one? Is there such a thing as a diviners directory or Which? diviner?, perhaps they advertise in "Well There's A Surprise Weekly" publication. Awaiting divine inspiration......
Julia xxx 3 acres and a day job!!!! Chickens, Turkeys, Sheep, Pigs, Veggies and Homebrew. Husband, son, pets, chutney and music.
If I am here it's because I am putting my feet up!

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2010, 06:32:34 pm »
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

robert waddell

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2010, 06:33:57 pm »
bright raven i take it you are a non believer in water divining
it does work to find drains and  water pipes and have seen it
cant comment on finding water at the depths quoted
you should have seen my nieces face when the rods crossed when we tried it with her

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2010, 07:11:41 pm »
 we have temps of -20 and our private well and pipe up to underground tank and then down to house by gravity system has not frozen up (helped by there being underfloor heating in the house I reckon!). We also used a diviner, more to avoid our septic tank run of polluting natural springs as the well was in situ tho derelict.

Up here (NE Scotland), water divining seems completely accepted and normal. our water diviner is also the water engineer and has 40 years of experience in both.

I would say its worth a shot, they dont often fail.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2010, 08:51:31 pm »
I've not seen water divining first hand but I know my Mum and Dad had one out to find where to sink their borehole in North Perthshire and it worked great for them!!
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2010, 09:12:47 pm »
Annie, how has yours coped with the frost? We get our water from next door and we all run out today as the borehole pipe is frozen solid. Thank goodcness they also have a spring feed to the tank but it was nearly a whole day without.. :&>
Hi Kerstin, I'm on mains water down here and it has been frozen, along with my only neighbour this side of the railway bridge, for 5 days.  The house I built in Aberdeenshire was without water at the very height of the big freeze for about a day and a half, so they have fared better than me.  I just hope our water restarts before the next freeze begins or we will have big problems!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS