Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: broad beans seed  (Read 3937 times)

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
broad beans seed
« on: August 11, 2015, 11:17:41 pm »
I've been growing my own broad beans from my own seed for several years .

This year has given me a prolific crop over 2.6  kg of beans from only 8 plants .

Tonight I've pressure canned/ preserved 10 x 125 g " Weck" jars of them .
This is a years supply , for I'm the only one who eats them in this house.

I'm going to dry the rest for seed and use some for sowing in early Nov for a strong crop next year .  There will be far to many for me , so if any of you would like a dozen or so seeds in about six weeks drop me a PM with your real name 7 address.
Dave

Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Calvadnack

• Joined Jun 2009
Re: broad beans seed
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 05:00:26 pm »
Which variety do you grow?  I have terrible problems with chocolate spot so am always looking for heavy croppers so that I can spread out fewer, more productive plants.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 12:22:41 am »
A friend gave me some seed this year, so just shoved them in and left them to get on with it not really thinking about whether I'd eat them or not. They're just about the only prolific thing in my garden and I tried a boiling. Disgusting things so they're for the chickens now.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 12:37:54 am »
Which variety do you grow?  I have terrible problems with chocolate spot so am always looking for heavy croppers so that I can spread out fewer, more productive plants.

Dunno , over the last four years they have done their own GM thing and crossed with what other pollen the bees & insects had on them.

Try planting your beans farther apart and don't water them ( if you have been doing ) save for in prolonged drought conditions and even then only water in the evening so it can have time to get deeper down before he sun comes & dries out the topsoil.

What type & depth of soil are you growing them on ?
It's best to eat lightly salted & lightly boiled broad beans when they are about 12 mm in diameter adding a light semi runny white parsley sauce or plenty of thick knife & fork gravy to the plate they are on is something I enjoy .

If you boil them to death they taste awful , so does storing  picked pods for more than a day then boiling the beans .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 09:28:49 am »
My very favourite mid-June meal is lambs liver, the first new spuds and the first broad beans with a good bit of onion gravy.
Also, let them get a bit big, boil them, take the skins off and make a sort of pate with summer savory, delicious!!
Cloddopper, the kale is doing well! Thank you.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2015, 07:46:54 pm »
afeter  setting some aside for theiose who have already requested them , I've still got four more vac packed heat sealed envelopes of home grown 4 th generation broad beans up for grabs .
Two with aboutt 16 beans in each  pack and two with about 24 in them

For those that want these please put your names up on the thread so folks can see if they are all taken .

Dave

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2015, 09:49:55 pm »
I've been growing my own broad beans from my own seed for several years .

This year has given me a prolific crop over 2.6  kg of beans from only 8 plants .

Tonight I've pressure canned/ preserved 10 x 125 g " Weck" jars of them .
This is a years supply , for I'm the only one who eats them in this house.

I'm going to dry the rest for seed and use some for sowing in early Nov for a strong crop next year .  There will be far to many for me , so if any of you would like a dozen or so seeds in about six weeks drop me a PM with your real name 7 address.
Dave
Good for you I think its great, well done :thumbsup: Me and my mum like broad beans, but my brothers hate them, so for that reason I don't grow them, but I will next year. I have some cleverly designed recipes to hide them  :innocent:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2015, 11:39:45 pm »
Mexican taco's with refried beans is a good wy to go .

Simmer boil them well in light salted water for an hour ,strain off,  cool , skin ,  mash , fry , cool , vac pac in small quantities & freeze .

Then when needed defrost & re fry as required .

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS