Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Re seeding horse paddock  (Read 3634 times)

apple and sauce

• Joined Jan 2010
Re seeding horse paddock
« on: March 17, 2010, 06:54:06 pm »
We moved house in August and built stables.Our 2 ponies are on our paddock.Due to this being such a wet winter.The land went really muddy.Even with putting ponies in every night and sectioning off area.We think we will have to re seed it.Can anybody suggest when this can be done and what product they recommend?

Daisy

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Near Earlston Scottish Borders
Re: Re seeding horse paddock
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 03:24:49 pm »
Try to get a seed mix without ryegrass in as ryegrass is not the best for ponies espcially natives, I would think that you could reseed asap now the ground is warming up, I take it that you are just going to overseed rather than ploughing

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Re: Re seeding horse paddock
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 03:24:59 pm »
Depends on where you live when it comes to sowing grass, we have done it late May as the weather had been very wet and cold April but if its getting warmer and no frost then I see no reason not to go ahead. You get a paddock mix now for horses and ponies that is suppose to be more hard wearing so have a chat with you local feed merchant he may be able to help. :horse:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS