Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: lamb with funny tongue  (Read 2805 times)

countrygirlatheart

• Joined Apr 2008
lamb with funny tongue
« on: March 11, 2010, 08:03:56 pm »
I have a ewe lamb - now 6 days old           the background is that I'm a novice and she was lambed by the vet - from a gimmer - her feet were forward but her head was 'stuck' with tongue protruding and a little swollen and the vet managed to pull her out (he did say the ewe was very tight - and she was very vocal when he was pulling the lamb out!)  she didn't breathe immediately - maybe 15 seconds to start      the lamb is obviously feeding as she's still here at 6 days, but she's not 'strong' and I noticed that she often has a small part of her tongue sticking out of the front of her mouth (just a little bit) and sometimes its like she's licking her nose a bit   (no slavering or dribbling tho)

anyone have experience of this?     could it be something temporary related to her being born?   

don't suppose there's much I can do but was just wondering if anyone can give me the benefit of their experience

thanks

Canadian Sheepfarmer

• Joined Nov 2009
  • Manitoba, Canada.
Re: lamb with funny tongue
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 02:47:33 pm »
I have seen this a few times, nothing to worry about in my experience, it is just a result of a hard pull. It will grow out of it in time probably when it starts grazing.

countrygirlatheart

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 07:11:06 pm »
Hi CanadianSheepFarmer

great to get your reassuring reply - many thanks

as the weather was good today and the lamb is a week old she was let outside with her mum for the first time     she seemed fine and was nibbling at the grass      hopefully all will be well - she's a smart little lamb

jembo

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 09:04:16 pm »
Arnica for both the ewe and lamb will work wonders.

countrygirlatheart

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 09:13:34 pm »
hi jembo      thanks for the reply

how do you administer the arnica and how much do you give?   

jembo

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 06:46:57 pm »
Sorry for late reply!

I just use the pills (very small) and give 2 pills to both ewe and lamb about 3 or 4 times a day until any swelling goes down. You have to try and administer the pills without touching them, if you rub gently under the chin they do swallow.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS