Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Antropian  (Read 3186 times)

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Antropian
« on: March 16, 2010, 09:52:54 pm »
Hi

Has anyone else had many problems with this eye condition?  My last set of twins born last night had one tiny lamb with both eyelids severely turned in which meant a trip to the vets and painful experience for both of us!  Not sure I can bear the thought of taking her again if this injection didn't work.  Just tubed both lambs as I don't think mum has enough milk.

Is it fairly rare?  I know it is hereditary but wondered how often it popped up when using that particular ram.  Shame because he was nice and I would have liked to use the Southdown again.  Maybe it is more common as they seem to have small beady eyes.

Re: Antropian
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 09:58:21 pm »
Hi,

We have had the same with southdowns. The "painful" injections did the trick, although it looks very sore and swollen for a few days.

You can try "rolling" the eyelid around a matchstick to help the condition and turn the eyelid to the correct position.

Thanks

Gareth
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 05:26:52 am »
weve only had a couple with it, if you carefully unroll the eyelid after birth usually does the trick, if it wont go back see kaz comments re clips on a previous post (ryelands) we had to take 1 to the vet and had fluid injected in bottom lid to create a bubble which stops lid turning in, sorted with 1 injection, if you get a lot of entropion its recommended to change the ram, think the clips are called michel clips................

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 10:09:45 pm »
Does anyone know (Gareth?) if this is more common in Southdowns?  I would have liked to use the ram again as it was a much easier lambing than last year and if it produces a good killout weight more favourable than the bigger Suffolk which I used last year.

Her eyes look much better today and at least are open and she can see.  I did try to fix myself but they were too bad and I am not experienced enough.

Not bad I suppose just one out of eleven lambs affected.  Got 5 more to lamb in April so hopefully they will be ok.

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 01:04:43 pm »
Hi,

I have no idea if it is more common in southdowns, we have only had it a couple of times, but we only have a few "Pure" southdowns, the rest we put the southdown ram to a Suffolk Ewe - none of the crosses have had any eye problems.

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

jembo

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 07:01:52 pm »
I have seen it quite a bit on various farms this year, I seem to spend most of my time going into pens and sorting them out. The first thing to do is to gently pinch the lower lid so all the hairs are out and then roll it gently to see if it will stay out. Do this for the first 48 hours a couple of times a day. If this is not working inject a antibiotic just under the lower lid. This will produce a lump which prevents the eyelid going inwards. You should only need to do this once.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS