Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Which Chicks?  (Read 3714 times)

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
Which Chicks?
« on: March 13, 2010, 05:20:15 pm »
Hi

Im hoping for some advice on which hens to buy for our 1st hens.

I have bought and set up the hen house, which has room for about 10 chickens, and an enclosed run which is 13ft by 4 ft, so I believe enough run for 6 large chickens. We need an enclosed run due to major fox issues, plus I want to be able to move it around the garden to save the grass. We want the chickens for the eggs, but also I have heard they can become friendly and make nice pets, so I want my 4 year old to start helping to look after them, collect the eggs, and hopefully learn to stroke them etc - an introduction to where food comes from.

So the choices are - save some ex-battery hens. I would be 'doing some good' plus I know they produce a lot of eggs.

Or get some fluffy bantams - probably less eggs, but I hear the fluffy feet breeds are softer on the garden, plus they are cuter so would be more appealing as pets so better for gaining my daughters interest. If I got some rare breed bantams, presumably I would also be helping a rare breed survive?

Any advice on what would be better as starter hens?

Thanks

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
Re: Which Chicks?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 05:46:28 pm »
an enclosed run is not enough if you have a fox problem they will get in with ease and wipe you out. you must have electric fence or trip wires around your run so they cannot get near enough to dig in.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 05:47:11 pm »
Why not get two of each - although ex-bats are, by all accounts - very people-friendly.

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 05:51:36 pm »
I was worried that introducing the 2 different sets of hens to each other would mean the exbats get beaten up - or I would need a 2nd cage for the introducing period, which I dont have.

I didnt know foxes could get into an enclosed run . .  if they can dig under a fence why cant they dig under and electric wire? Sorry if I am being thick

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 05:57:36 pm »
if you have a movable run as well a fox will get in that with ease unless you wire the floor as well or have a fox grid ie a piece of heavy duty wire with about 2 inch quares about 2 foot bigger all round than your run so he cant dig in and you must tent peg the run down so he cannot lift it  with his nose to squeeze in, fox grid cheaper than electric fence for movable runs, but there may be an issue with the birds feet.

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 06:03:23 pm »
you are correct they can dig under any fence thats why you need 3 trip wires before the fence, because first time they get a belt from an electric fence you will probably never see the fox again. the trip wires cover about 2 feet from the fence they dont tunnel they just try to get under and get a belt. TRUST ME IF YOU HAVE A FOX PROBLEM YOU WILL LOOSE THE LOT, you must do one of the 2 suggestions ive told you.

loopy

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 07:07:29 pm »
re breeds, the 2 types that are the friendliest and affectionate that we've had have been a "Miss Pepperpot" which came from Omlet, and then recently i got a Bovan Nera (similar to Miss Pepperpot) who was almost as friendly, but not quite (Clementine the Miss Pepperpot would literally follow us around the garden talking to us and wanting cuddles).  I've also got a Light Sussex who is very sweet and gentle natured and likes her cuddles too.

Hope it helps!

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 07:12:20 pm »
if you want child tame/friendly its orpingtons, you turn round and they are there, they follow you and easy to pick up
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 07:14:10 pm by harry »

whitby_sam

• Joined Feb 2008
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 07:33:44 pm »
Our Maran girls are very tame and friendly (the boys less so) and our Warrens are so tame its ridiculous, they're forever pestering me for a stroke  :)

I have some Maran chicks almost ready to go (another few weeks just to harden them off I think) if you're interested in a chicken that lays well, is easy to look after and doesn't make too much of a mess of your garden.

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2010, 08:28:20 pm »
It sounds like a lot of chickens will be friendly - presumably its due to lots of attention, chatting to them and getting them used to being held?

Are there any definite breeds to avoid?

joyofchicks

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2010, 08:50:24 pm »
I guess everyone will shout for their particular breed of friendly hen.  I've had several Bovans Nera, one Welsummer, a Bluebelle and  two Light Sussex that we hatched ourselves last year but the friendliest of all is a brown isa warren who'd actually like to come and live in the house I think!  I've also got a black orpington who chooses to live a solitary existence but she is old and doesn't see very well and a very flighty silkie/araucana cross (cross being the operative word!)  We've rehabilitated a spent organic layer too and she was a lovely friendly hen after a bit of TLC.

The first hens we got were four Bovans Nera because the breeder was nearby - and that may determine your choice.  My youngest daughter was about 4 when we got them.  You may wish to go along to see the hens first bafore you choose.  If your hens are to come from a small hobby breeder then they may be used to being hand fed and handled whereas this may not be the case in a bigger establishment or for ex-batts.  Take care letting your daughter feed the hens at first so she isn't put off by a strong peck on the hand - some are a bit more greedy and some peck in a very delicate way!  You'll need to judge.

My girls are older now but still love the hens and I love the way that they've learned about new life, where food comes from and the care which all animals require.  Enjoy your chooks - they'll reward you well.

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2010, 10:42:40 pm »
all very true about favourite breeds there are many but it wont mean diddly squat if you dont sort out your fox problem, all hens are fox favourites

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS