Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Chicken fencing and foxes  (Read 6199 times)

sallyw

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Buckinghamshire
Chicken fencing and foxes
« on: May 30, 2008, 09:48:20 pm »
Dear All,

Can someone please advise. We have newish chickens which are a total delight. We keep them in a run that is 3m long that has small gate into a larger run (about 15m by 25m) so they can virtually free range. The larger run is fenced with a 90cm wire/wooden post fence.
Now that the nights are lighter the chickens stay in the larger run until night fall which is very nice for them but I am worried about foxes. So far so good but I do feel we are being lucky. The run is next to our hay field and we are very open. Everything I read suggests that foxes will scale anything if they want to. Most fences seem to be 7 feet high, barbed wire etc etc.

Can anyone recommend a good solution?
Do I need a 7 foot fence?
Can you buy wired panels that can be joined to create a pen, If so where?

The pigs have demonstrated that taught wire fences are not my forte so I don't want to do this unless it will make a difference. Any advice gratefully received.
Thanks
Sal
 :chook: :pig:

mojo

• Joined May 2008
  • glenay 79330 france
  • retired and married in north deux sevre FRANCE
Re: Chicken fencing and foxes
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 09:14:31 pm »
two  quick options.............raise fence height to 2 metres  and/or make a upside down  L shape profile with short leg face out of pen ............or look for weldmesh panels in your yellow pages for longer term view.........remember foxes roam about in daylight too
retired to deep in rural france.keep 2 shih tzu dogs ( 1 boy 1 girl),1 cat(girl),lots of pure breed chickens(both sexes)....golden pheasants(both sexes) and the best wife a man could have

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 12:31:10 am »
My chickens haven't moved out of the pig pen since I put in two strands of electric nylon rope. The cockerel got a shock and I think he told the hens about it. Total cost for the whole outfit was around 110 pounds new,(and I had the choice of rope or netting) but you can get it cheaper if you're prepared to keep an eye out for secondhand stuff......... Ree
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

mojo

• Joined May 2008
  • glenay 79330 france
  • retired and married in north deux sevre FRANCE
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 01:55:07 pm »
electric fencing will keep chickens in but not foxes out unless set just right............they will jump it or dig under it if they can
retired to deep in rural france.keep 2 shih tzu dogs ( 1 boy 1 girl),1 cat(girl),lots of pure breed chickens(both sexes)....golden pheasants(both sexes) and the best wife a man could have

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS