Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: French diet???  (Read 2227 times)

lazybee

• Joined Mar 2010
French diet???
« on: March 14, 2010, 11:44:54 am »
Okay,
 Iv'e been living in France now for almost 8yrs now and and thought before I moved here, I had a pretty good idea what the french eat as most of you probably think. Cheese, charcuterie, wine, loads of red meat, offal, bread and pattiserie. So why aren't they fat? I think the main reason is they all eat the main meal of the day at midday. They then go back to work in the afternoon and burn it off, they are also very active even into old age. One old boy who lives near me is 91 and he bikes to the village 8kms round trip on a racing bike. The heart attack figures are much lower and life expectancy is higher than the UK. I has to be said they eat lots of fish and salad and vegetables too. So, basically a good balanced diet. Most people don't buy processed food either. In the supermarket where I live they have an "English isle" the french wouldn't recognise most of it as food i.e. bisto, custard powder, Marmite. There's an English shop here too that sells stuff like english cotton wool bread, spaghetti hoops, baked beans and spam. It's not untill I'd been here for a while I realised how over processed British food is. In France they are much closer to the land and know where their food comes from and only buy local produce or grow their own. My neighbour always has a couple of pigs. another has a few hives and many have chickens, ducks, geese, guinea foul, turkeys you name it. What I actually find is everyone here is an "Accidental Smallholder" it is very much the norn :farmer:

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
Re: French diet???
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 07:35:22 pm »
Aye lazy I'm on a diet C-Food and eat it :D
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

sandy

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 10:28:44 pm »
Wizard, when I get to 70 I will eat what I like but I am loosing weight and I feel loads better. We do eat far too much, I love food and have guest coming next week and love cooking but the temptation of eating what I cook is far too great...I shall have to have loads of self controle. I have some duck eggs and need to make some cake BUT, I shall be so tempted to eat it anyway, I have a big funtion on my birthday, a family reunion, so I need to look good if I am to meet all those relatives ;)

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 07:29:32 am »
My OH gets a school meal each working day - honestly they are no better than those served to us in the 60s in the UK.   I dont know many French people who eat that well.  When we came there were less ready meals available, that too seems to be slowly increasing.

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 07:54:00 am »
Hello Sandy and Hillary's mum Send me a Email then I can wish yo happy Birthday at a minute after midnight I think it was Annie.I have only just washed and shaved and pulled myself together so I don't know if Annie has been on and how she faired.I see our good friend has arrived in Skeggie I asked her where bu I was out most of yesterday I went to Wakefield Thats a long way for this Yellow Belly to go.Rate int middle of Aurthur's Kingdom Sorry you people that live over that way it looks more deserted than Grimsby Docks.When I used to go as a teenager it virtually throbbed with activity.
Hello Hillary's Mum No shoutin at Wizard no offence tekin Just a observation.What is all this crap about French food being better than ENGLISH? Oh they have got a new French chef at The Oaklands So we went Choose the chefs choice after making enquires Bluddi crap I wouldn't have fed it to my dog beef with blood on the plate ! half cooked veg what few there was and I don't know what to say about the sweet.I said to Ron the owner Shan't be eating here agen til "E" has gone.Do you want me to come in and give him a few lessons.He lasted 9 weeks.So others must have agreed.I have intentions of a new thread See The Affect of School Dinners ???p/s girls I do like to the excess Roquefort ;D ;D ;D :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS