Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ammonia as a supplement  (Read 2206 times)

SophieLeeds

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Yorkshire
Ammonia as a supplement
« on: July 27, 2015, 08:47:27 am »
This might be in the wrong place, not sure...

I bought some Battles Stockaline last week to bump an online order up to the amount needed for free delivery.  According to the bottle 'Battles Stockaline is an all purpose health drench for use in horses, cattle, sheep, pigs and goats. Supports recovery from chills and fevers.'

Thought it might just be one of those things to have in stock, rather than actually buying it for a specific need. However, on looking at the ingredients (and smelling it) after it arrived, the only ingredient is ammonia  ???

As far as I knew, ammonia can be highly poisonous to pigs (kept in high concentration commercial units). Is it really safe to give this to livestock? :/
As for mixing it in with feed as it recommends, I don't think any of my animals would go near it - it stinks!

Has anyone used this/ammonia based products before for 'treating colds'? The only purpose I can see for it at the moment is for using to scrub down the Rayburn!

"The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops or livestock, but the cultivation and perfection of human beings"

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
Re: Ammonia as a supplement
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 09:22:17 am »
If we take a trip back in history there were some wonderful old vet remedies - usually with sepia labels and flambouyant script. Chloraform drenches were ne such bizarre idea. Glandones mixed gland tablets was one of my favourites.. tablets made from just about every hormone gland you could think of. M&B 693 was an industry classic and everyone went on holiday (by caravel jet) with their sulphur tablets for holday tummy. It wasn't 'til the 80's we started to recognise how sulphur based drugs can trigger immune mediated disease.
I can recall a lecturer suggesting one could supplement cattle feed with chopped up old newspaper and chicken droppings as being a source both of cellulose and protein building blocks -

That;s not to say it was all rubbish.. the strychnine, ginger and ammonia powders for rumen stasis and acidosis did work wnders.. and that's where ammonia may actually be of benefit..but not in a  horse or pig. BUT you'ld have to sure it's a rumen acidosis. Another option was washing powder detergent as a drench.. to break up foam in bloat..

there was a historical time and place for these things ..stick to cleaning your rayburn with the stuff.

SophieLeeds

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 09:48:00 am »
If we take a trip back in history there were some wonderful old vet remedies - usually with sepia labels and flambouyant script. Chloraform drenches were ne such bizarre idea. Glandones mixed gland tablets was one of my favourites.. tablets made from just about every hormone gland you could think of. M&B 693 was an industry classic and everyone went on holiday (by caravel jet) with their sulphur tablets for holday tummy. It wasn't 'til the 80's we started to recognise how sulphur based drugs can trigger immune mediated disease.
I can recall a lecturer suggesting one could supplement cattle feed with chopped up old newspaper and chicken droppings as being a source both of cellulose and protein building blocks -

That;s not to say it was all rubbish.. the strychnine, ginger and ammonia powders for rumen stasis and acidosis did work wnders.. and that's where ammonia may actually be of benefit..but not in a  horse or pig. BUT you'ld have to sure it's a rumen acidosis. Another option was washing powder detergent as a drench.. to break up foam in bloat..

there was a historical time and place for these things ..stick to cleaning your rayburn with the stuff.

Thanks very much!  ;D
"The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops or livestock, but the cultivation and perfection of human beings"

Cosmore

• Joined Jun 2015
  • Dorset
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 03:26:25 pm »

How true, forget the 'remedies' of yesteryear, including the one using gunpowder (black powder) mixed up with some other horrifying ingredients for horses!

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 04:42:06 pm »
Supports recovery from chills and fevers.'

Or at least gives them something else to think about!  :o
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 04:19:02 pm »
I totally believe that mucking out the horses and chucking back the muck heap protects me from colds due to the ammonia. Unfortunately, the ammonia is probably doing permanent damage to my lungs, so its a bit of a trade off :p

I used to be an EVN at one of the older Newmarket equine practices, there was a kerosene drench there but noone knew what it was for (or would admit to it)

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 06:58:46 pm »
I totally believe that mucking out the horses and chucking back the muck heap protects me from colds due to the ammonia. Unfortunately, the ammonia is probably doing permanent damage to my lungs, so its a bit of a trade off :p

I used to be an EVN at one of the older Newmarket equine practices, there was a kerosene drench there but noone knew what it was for (or would admit to it)

Which reminds me of 2 stories:
Murphy talking to Dave.."my 'orse Eric is lame with the scrumdiddlies, dunno waht to do.."
Dave "When my 'orse had the scrumdiddlies Ol' Vet over village told me to give 'im paraffin!"
Murphy "Tanks. I'll go try that."
They meet up again 2 weeks later.
Murphy "Dave, ya knows ya says Ol' vet said to give paraffin for the scrumdiddlies?"
Dave "Ooo-Arr"
Murphy "Well I gave the paraffin and my 'orse Eric.. well 'e up and died!"
Dave "Well now, that's odd. So did mine..."

Story number two (which is true) I had a severe flu/cold some years ago and felt really crappy but needed to get better fast so i brought a bottle of ribena just to the boil and added 1/2  bottle of rum. I sipped it slowly. When i woke up the cold was gone - but it was 2 days later. I figured I'd sterilised my throat and inhaled enough alcohol fumes to kill most stuff. Any VitC was a bonus.... Or I'd slept through it while it ran its course :roflanim:

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 07:44:09 pm »
I might try the rum and Ribena remedy!! Sounds lovely! as does 2 days of sleep!
Is it time to retire yet?

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 07:46:07 pm »

Agreed. I haven't mucked out in months and Im sure that's why Im full of a cold now.
As for permanent lung damage?  Hey, we all die of something
Is it time to retire yet?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS