Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Crufts - for dogs not sofas :-)  (Read 15320 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Crufts - for dogs not sofas :-)
« on: March 11, 2010, 10:00:05 am »
Watch it on TV

Crufts Coverage on More 4

Thursday 11th March    7:30pm - 8:30pm

Friday 12th March      7:30pm - 8:30pm

Saturday 13th March    7:30pm - 8:30pm

Sunday 14th March      7pm - 9pm

Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

HappyHippy

Re: Crufts - for dogs not sofas :-)
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 10:28:21 am »
I saw the ad for DFS Crufts and did wonder lol ! Don't recall it ever being called Pedigree Chum Crufts - but that's the power of advertising cash eh ?
Are you competing with the dogs Annie or is it an excuse to go and have a nosey at everyone else's ?  ;) ;D ;D ;D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 12:09:26 pm »
I'm showing Belle, Bobby's mum.  And I have been entered at Crufts every year since 1985 except for the last three - judged 2007, didn't like next two judges for 2008 and 2009.  It is very busy on the last day and I will be exhausted after driving there and back(even with 2 co-drivers) but the atmosphere is fantastic.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 12:53:16 pm »
Good luck Annie  :)
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 02:12:35 pm »
Best of luck!! I'm not taking dogs this year but am going up tomorrow to take a friend and her mini longs. I shall see if I enjoy Crufts any better without a dog.
Too crowded, too noisy and I hate the fact that anyone can touch your dog without asking if it's o.k. Not that I mind my dogs being petted (and they certainly don't!) but the fact that a person can pet a foreign dog, touching it around the mouth and then do the same to your dog. These dogs may be carrying disease that they have generations of immunity to but our dogs won't have. At L.K.A. there are signs above the benches asking folk not to touch the exhibits, so why not at Crufts?
God, don't I sound a miserable old crow!!

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 03:56:18 pm »
I'm showing Belle, Bobby's mum.  And I have been entered at Crufts every year since 1985 except for the last three - judged 2007, didn't like next two judges for 2008 and 2009.  It is very busy on the last day and I will be exhausted after driving there and back(even with 2 co-drivers) but the atmosphere is fantastic.
I'll be glued to the telly then - looking for you and cheering you on Mrs - Good Luck !
 :wave: :wave: :wave:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 07:15:18 pm »
I hate the fact that anyone can touch your dog without asking if it's o.k.
No not at all, I agree with you which is why i have spent £40 on a bench guard so no-one can touch her without me there.

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 07:50:06 pm »

No not at all, I agree with you which is why i have spent £40 on a bench guard so no-one can touch her without me there.

not as bas as when someone else FEEDS your dog  >:(

I was going to be going to be visiting the show, for the thursday/friday, to see a dog i have know from a pup in his first majour show(a saluki), but i couldn't get time off school  :(

Good Luck Annie fingers crossed

herdsman

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 08:40:56 pm »

Exactly thesame reason we used to sleep with the cows when we showed them. A favourite trick of a rival was to start milking one quarter so she would run milk and then her udder would look all uneven in the ring. It was regarded as very poor show to touch someone elses cow without permission. I only did local stuff but things like the Royal(RIP) or the National things got very competetive and all sorts of tricks got played. Guess its the same at crufts? So much money and status at stake.
One year we took a team of 10 cows... god I was knackered by the end of the weekend.
Good luck with the show.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 09:53:38 pm »
Guess its the same at crufts? So much money and status at stake.

No, not really.  There's very little money involved in dog shows.  You get a prize card and a rosette if you get placed, and sometimes a stud dog might be in demand after winning best of Breed for the price of a puppy - in pedigree dogs that's only a few hundred pounds.  If you make a dog up to be a Champion sometimes the pups are more in demand but the price is fairly uniform.  For instance, pups of my fairly unusual breed sold for the same price as Sandy's lab pups.  The smaller breeds seem to cost more - chihuahuas, westies, yorkies etc are nearer £1000

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 10:07:56 pm »
Hell Annie I dont pay that much to change Su :o :o ??? ;D ;D
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 10:14:24 pm »
Ok so you'd prefer a designer dog for twice the price maybe?  There are people in this world that think if you have two breeds in a puppy it's a special thing.  No it ain't.  They are paying £1500 to £1800 for a mongrel. ::) ::)  And just as likely to have health problems, if not more so, since the 'breeders' (if you want to call them that, I have another name for them ::)) don't do the health checks that Sandy and I did.

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2010, 10:40:23 pm »
Hello Annie Of course you realise I am only knowledgeable about working dogs most of ours have been Heinz.I don't think a walking duster would be a lot of good fetching the cows up or rounding up a dozen Rams.But people like Edna Birch.They get great pleasure from their dogs and the slightest thing its round to the vets.I like to think rightly or wrongly I am an observant person and I like to watch people in the supermarket With a pack of the most expensive cat/dog food and a tin of beans a cartoon of L/L milk and a 80 packet of tea bags.One old lady told me her cat was 10 years old and he would only eat tinned salmon Thinks to self not if it had not been given it in the first place.It would eat anything offered or go out and catch its own dinner and they can you know. ;D :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2010, 10:45:26 pm »
All my dogs are fed Breeder pack - the ends of production runs of the best brands all mixed in together, and half the price. They would all feed themselves too if I let them ;D ;D ;D  I just don't want the job of picking up what comes out the other end if they do! ;)

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2010, 11:01:49 pm »
Now this time Annie I DO NOT KNOW WHAT I AM ON ABOUT In Louth there was a plant that made dog food which was just dried meat it came in cwt paper sacks and you just added water left it over night and there you are meat for the dog People came for miles to get it it was called Luda Meaties Have you seen it ? Since we have no dog we don't know about it now but it was jolly good stuff. :D :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS