Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: I think I have my first lamb problem  (Read 6197 times)

Rainyplace

• Joined Jan 2008
I think I have my first lamb problem
« on: May 28, 2008, 07:47:50 pm »
Hi Folks, re my earlier post, How much for a lamb? I bought 4 lambs, they arrived last Saturday, they are about 6 weeks old. Three of the lambs were quite large and seemed quite strong, the fourth was a triplet and much smaller than the others. Feeding went well once thery were settled, 5ooml x 3 times a day.Sun/Mon/Tues fine. They are also being fed pellets. Problem started today with the smaller lamb, it wouldnt take any milk at all this morning, a little a lunch time and about 10ml if that tonight. It is nibbling at the pellets a little. I have isolated it and put it in a shelter with some hay which it nibbled a tiny bit. It was shivering a tiny bit, it also sounds like its tummy is rumbling. Poo is ok, not runny or smelly.Obviously I am concerned that I am doing something dreadfully wrong and that the lamb is unwell.Any advice at all will be most welcome.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: I think I have my first lamb problem
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 08:58:00 pm »
I'd PM thewoolyshepherd if you don't get any response here.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 10:03:48 pm »
Hello....just got on puter!

Right ho! I think 500ml may be a bit too much milk in one go! Also lamb sounds cold....put under lamp asap!

Need to ask following....

Where are they kept? in or outside..........I assume from the fact you have put it in a shelter they are out!
Are they on grass? Grass and milk do not mix!.........if on mum they snack little and often so no problem but 500ml of milk and grass is recipe for disaster!
Also if yoe are anywhere near us we have been having a monsoon and lambs will get easily chilled when not with mum!
Put finger in its mouth....if mouth is cold it has hypothermia! Treatment - Get a hair dryer and rub lamb under hair dryer until mouth and ears are warm, then put under heat lamp( or in warm room in front of heat source if no lamp!)
I think it is cold, hypothermic and suffering from a digestive problem! You may save it, you might not but do your best! Give it glucose water instead of milk and force feed if necessary to keep hydrated....good luck!

Also if other lambs are outside bring them into a stable until almost weaned and just let them eat good hay and creep....gradually introduce grass as ammount of milk decreases.....and better to feed 350 - 400ml now to encourage them to eat more hard feed, have them weaned totally by 10 - 12 weeks for max growth.
I will be away until Sunday but if worried please phone 07859 670092
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Rainyplace

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 08:54:49 am »
Thankyou so much.. brought lamby number 4 in last night, it took 2 x 10 ml and was kept warm. This morning it is looking much much better, was eager for milk - 400ml no problem, also keen on the pellets. I will reduce access to grass,( the grass here is very rich and plentiful) reduce feeds to 300 - 400 ml as advised, could you please let me know how much pellets I should be giving them. (the guy i got them from was the one who told me 5ooml and throw some pellets at them!) However with correct advice I am sure lamby number 4 will improve.She is certainly back to hop-skipping and jumping this morning.thanks again.
Jo

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 08:13:25 pm »
So glad there's been a successful outcome. Keep us posted about No 4's progress!

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 11:49:08 pm »
Got rained off so back again......

So glad lamb looking better..........just keep em away from all that grass ;)
Pellets should be ad lib until weaned and out on the grass, then reduce over a few days and stop. Once weaned and chomping quantities of grass, worm them and then just let them mow the grass and get fat! If in doublt yell and I will try and help.
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS