Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheds in Field + Planning Permission  (Read 50631 times)

UK Fisher

• Joined Feb 2010
Sheds in Field + Planning Permission
« on: March 07, 2010, 09:59:06 pm »
Hi  everyone. :o :o

Thank you for your replies to my earlier post regarding SINC regulations.

I was wondering about putting a shed up in my new field for keeping tools, compact tractor and kettle in......does it need planning consent?

From what i understand mobile field shelters "generally" do not require planning,,,but what about a shed with a concrete or if neccessary a gravel  base?

The field is only 2acres,,,but i am not wanting to fill it up with sheds and animals,,,,just some chickens, couple of pigs, fruit trees, bees and a small wildlife pond......

Also what do you all do regarding a toilet....i know being a man there is always a hedgerow,,,but my dear old mum will more than likely be spending some time at the filed with me.....not so easy for her in the hedgerow  :o :o :o

Thank you

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Sheds in Field + Planning Permission
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 10:58:01 pm »
I suspect you'd need planning for a loo - you'd need a septic tank and a soakaway for a start. The way I understgand it is if a building is not fixed to the ground you don't need planning consent, but if on a concrete base and fixed to it you would.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 11:10:31 pm »
Try a shewee - it will be quicker and cheaper  ;D

Dangermouse

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 05:04:10 pm »
Im thinking about using 20 x 10 steel shipping containers as secure storage for tools etc....

I wonder if they are classed as temp buildings?

they will be just standing on old railway sleepers?

milly molly

• Joined Dec 2007
  • abington sw scotland
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 06:48:59 pm »
we've got 8 acres agricultural land, i got consent for our big shed and small shed thru the permitted developments, did the plans myself and after a little discussion about finished colour went thru no problem.
toilet is a portaloo in a little part segregated from the main bit.

Mandy

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 07:40:09 pm »
We did the same as Mandy
A composting loo in a wooden shed would work. There were some regulations under permitted development about our shed being at least 15 metres away from the road and then they wanted it to be not too far from the road either............ worth a chat though.
Our shed's posts sit on concrete blocks. Seemingly our holding number was a requirement too.
kirsty

UK Fisher

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 03:55:36 am »
Thanks for your replies........

I like the idea of a toilet of somesort in a part of the shed.....would make my mum feel better too  ;D

The SHEWEE....now theres an idea,,,,i guess you learn something new everyday.....might take a little extra convincing though.... ::)

There doesnt seem to be a definite answer to the shed + planning question though....i have searched the web etc and it seems that this type of info is not as easily found and also seems to have so many variables.....

i searched through AS for older posts and there is an answer somewhere that suggests  (answers in blue)

Is the building for an agri purpose on an agri unit  of more than 0.4Ha?  YES
Would the building plus any others erected in the last 2 years exceed 265sqm?  NO
Would any part of the building be within 25m of a metalled portion of a classified road?  NO
Would the height of the building exceed 12m? NO

Thanks again for your help.

Andy
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 03:59:33 am by UK Fisher »

Dangermouse

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 06:13:59 am »
Your right its very difficult to find any specific information and if you ask your local planning persons they always say you need planning permission

Its funny you can put a shed up in your garden and no one says a word but as soon as you want to put the same shed up on your farm suddenly you need permission?

>:(

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 07:35:50 am »
Hi, have you considered a wheeled Portacabin...they come in lots of different sizes...some have porta-loo facilities...many have electric wiring and lighting, so could be powered by a portable generator...they are relatively inexpensive if purchased second hand (look on Ebay)...and they do not need planning permission unless you remove the wheels. We use a large twin wheeler for our on site Farm Shop.

Farmer,  :farmer:

Dangermouse

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 03:01:04 pm »
I think the problem seems to be "what is the definition of temporary"

Now to me a temporary building is a building that does not have permanant foundations i.e

A wooden Shed

A Shipping Container

A field shelter

But it seems the planning office has a different idea?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS