Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Whatever happened to Schmallenberg?  (Read 2443 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Whatever happened to Schmallenberg?
« on: July 14, 2015, 11:45:45 pm »
is a question Liverpool Uni are researching, and they're calling for sheep keepers in the South of England to help.

linky
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
Re: Whatever happened to Schmallenberg?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 11:18:06 am »
as I understand it there has been a resurgence of cases in Germany as new unprotected animals contract it during pregnancy.
presumably it will continue at a low level
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

TheSmilingSheep

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 04:30:12 pm »
Our local vets are recruiting farms for research in Devon....

Need to have at least 30 sheep and to have bred at least 12 lambs I think sine last April....

And be willing for bloods to be taken and assessment for midges over the winter...

I'm sure they'd be delighted to hear from anyone interested: St Boniface Vets, Crediton....

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 08:13:41 pm »
I think it may turn out to be one of those things that comes and goes, depending on the weather conditions and whether the wind is from the East over the summer.  Next time it heads our way most of our sheep population will be naive. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS