Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Using a Head stock - advice please  (Read 3081 times)

Oopsiboughtasheep

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Hampshire
Using a Head stock - advice please
« on: July 17, 2015, 08:37:52 am »
Morning All,
I need to Clik my 4 sheep and trim their feet (one or two look a bit long) and have a head stock that I have yet to use for the first time. It was recommended to me as an easier handling system,  cos I have broken my back a couple of times. I haven't seen one used before so am anxious about them panicking in it and throwing themselves about and damaging their necks. I'm hoping someone will tell me that once they are in it, it has a nice calming effect on them and they just stand there quietly! I feel fairly confident about what I have to do, I'm just worried about hurting my girls. I would really appreciate any advice you might have before I bite the bullet and go for it.
Many thanks.
Anything that costs you your peace is too expensive

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: Using a Head stock - advice please
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 09:24:42 am »
Never used one but I imagine it may work like a twitch on a horse or a ring in a bull's nose, sends them into a semi- trance. :-\ :-\

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 09:28:16 am »
I haven't used one but spoke to someone at a show who was using one when they groomed their sheep. The ewe was standing stock still (I guess thats where the name comes from) I asked if it was a good, quiet sheep or if it was the headstock. He told me it was the headstock.
Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 09:33:38 am »
I've never used a headstock but personally I would say you will exercise your back more getting them in to the headstock than you would just walking down the line alongside them, treating them as you go.  But, as you only have 4, presumeably they are very tame and perhaps wouldn't be as difficult to get into the headstock as mine would be!

Reading your post again, were you thinking you would do their feet with them stood with their heads held in the headstock?  As they're clearly very tame, maybe that would work...  :thinking:

And, reading the other responses, I am now interested to know if anyone's ever used a headstock to restrain a recalcitrant ewe while her lambs suckle?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Keepers

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 09:37:00 am »
The head stock tilts the head upwards, so the sheep tend not to be able to struggle or do much at all as she wont have her power behind her.

Its like when grabbing a ewe if you put your hand under her chin and lift her head up she doesnt really have the power to struggle as much, you can walk her around backwards and she can't push forwards, if you hold her wrong and let her get her head down, then she will run and push and struggle more

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 09:38:10 am »
And, if you haven't already bought your Clik, we've discovered on another thread that Clik and Clikzin differ only in the concentration of the active ingredient, and that the additional beastie that Clik then protects against is extremely rare in this country.  Clikzin is less environmentally damaging, cheaper, and has a shorter withdrawal, so if you haven't bought it yet, you might want to think about using Clikzin instead.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Oopsiboughtasheep

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Hampshire
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2015, 03:56:19 pm »
Thankyou for all your replies. I'll be brave and have a go then and be sure to make sure their heads are tipped up a bit Keepers.
Yes, I am planning to do their feet while they are in the head stock Bionic.
Thanks for the Clikzen info SIN. I have already bought some Clik but will know for next time.
Will let you know how I get on!  :fc:
Anything that costs you your peace is too expensive

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS