Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pet cows?  (Read 10182 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Pet cows?
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2015, 06:45:59 pm »
Firstly breed is important you need to find a breed you like and which is suitable for your needs. If it is as a pet then a placid breed of cow is essential. Also if you would like a pet cow you have to buy 2, this is of course to keep the other company, oldish cows is a good idea. When I sell my buffaloes I sell them in pairs, empty or both in calf. When looking at cows look at how the breeder handles them and manages them, this is crucial. Try and get to know the cows background and don't be afraid to ask the breeder a lot of questions about the animals in question. Another way of buying in cattle is to buy them as calves, then you can halter train them, handle them every day and they get to know your system. I find it better to visit the breeder at their own place and then you can see what the animals are like in their own environment, in what they call their working clothes. You can then get to meet the siblings and parents too, of the animals in question, the more the understanding you have of the animal and its background the better for you and the animals. I hope this helps and all the best :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 06:51:20 pm by waterbuffalofarmer »
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2015, 11:58:23 am »
Thanks for all your info, am still giving it lots of thought.  I'm keen to get some red polls but would probably have to wait for older steers which would make it more sensible to finish them off for market.  I think if I wanted calves to tame from an early age I'd have to go for a dairy breed, but have remembered that my neighbour has a bull and cows he keeps in an adjoining field so females might not be such a good option!

1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2015, 05:18:45 pm »
Your vet may be willing to point you in the direction of farmers who have quiet, well handled stock.  We got British Blue x British Friesian heifer calves from a local dairy herd and took them on to sell as potential suckler cows.  They were very quiet and a joy to keep.  Unfortunately we're now in a bTB hotspot and the farmer concerned has had 80 cattle slaughtered over the past two years, so that project has been suspended ..... until further notice.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS