Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello  (Read 6143 times)

sandy

Re: Hello
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2010, 07:56:18 pm »
The only thing we have in a bundance is pooo!! Now what can I do to make that useful?

Flecktimus

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2010, 08:00:54 pm »
The only thing we have in a bundance is pooo!! Now what can I do to make that useful?

Methane Gas?

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2010, 08:10:06 pm »
hello and welcome from Derbyshire.  We dont have a river.... !!

What part of Derbyshire, i have just moved back up to Scotland from Mansfield and had the pleasure of working at Shirebrook Colliery which is North East Derbyshire

Right in the middle - about half an hour from Derby.
Smallholding in Scotland must be very different to colliery work?!   Are you born and bred from here, or there?!
Little Blue

Flecktimus

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2010, 10:15:32 pm »
hello and welcome from Derbyshire.  We dont have a river.... !!

What part of Derbyshire, i have just moved back up to Scotland from Mansfield and had the pleasure of working at Shirebrook Colliery which is North East Derbyshire

Right in the middle - about half an hour from Derby.
Smallholding in Scotland must be very different to colliery work?!   Are you born and bred from here, or there?!

Born in Edinburgh,moved to Mansfield when i was 21, now 29 years later i have returned over the border.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2010, 06:26:39 pm »
Hi and welcome- lovely part of the world you are in. My dad was born in Kelso, but we live in the central belt of Scotland now.

All of you Borderers- no one lives at Smithy Cottage near St Boswells do they?

Beth

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2010, 08:13:23 pm »
Hey, Beth, my pal lives at Alma House, St Bos, and I remember seeing the sign for Smithy Cottage when I was down there last year.  Is that where your Dad lived?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2010, 09:02:54 pm »
Hi, we are near to St Boswells, there are probably quite a few places where there used to be a Smithy. Whats the connection? We have the Smithy at (Old) Belses just down the road, I think they used to keep goats a while back not anymore though?

We have only moved here about 3 years ago so still finding my way round sometimes...

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2010, 09:40:06 pm »
No, I had a friend that lived at Smithy Cottage who kept goats. I just thought what a coincidence if someone else had moved in and started keeping goats! She lives in France now, moved about 3/4 years ago.

Beth

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2010, 09:45:33 pm »
Yes she stayed about half a mile east from us at Longnewton, we are just down the road. Current owners dont keep goats, but people keep telling me that the goats used to peer out onto the road from their stable and watched the world (or the few cars per hour) go by... It would have been so good if a goat keeper would have been near me, I am still a bit apprehensive about milking in earnest, have only done the odd try... and others are too far away for me to just pop over for the mornings milking...

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2010, 10:00:31 pm »
Is Diana not near enough to visit at milking time? She's out Jedburgh way, outside the town of course, so I suppose it might still be a bit of a trek. You might have met her at Kelso- Diana Oliver? I can't think of anyone else down that way unfortunately....

Beth

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2010, 09:14:09 pm »
Yes I visited Diana's farm to look at her goats last spring, before I got mine. It is not too far away but with the weather this winter has been impossible to get through. Its only now that there is no ice first thing in the morning, and we both live on single track roads...

I'll just have to learn hands-on on my own goats I suppose. Have had both of them on the milking stand twice a day getting them used to someone getting underneath their bellies etc for the last three weeks, and they are hopping on quite readily now.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS