Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello  (Read 6142 times)

Flecktimus

• Joined Mar 2010
Hello
« on: March 04, 2010, 01:23:07 pm »
Ok,

What do you need to know about me

1) I live in the Scottish Borders and have roughly 3 acres of good paddock land,river and 2 border Collies whom are pure pets.

2) Plans - 4 or 5 chickens for eggs, i req pigs asap to clear 1/2 acre of over grown paddock ready to plant willow trees next season. plant a nice veg garden and  a few sheep or maybe Alpacas 8). Also looking to make electricity from the river.

Anyway any help will be welcome as i am a complete novice

The dogs names are Fleck and Red :wave:

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 01:25:03 pm »
Hello and welcome.  It seems we all start of with just a couple of animals and then it just grows...

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 01:39:15 pm »
Welcome to the forum!!

Yes, we do start with a few animals, and then if you are like me you stop counting!!

I am interested in using our river to make electricity, because it has been done further down the river from us, and this supplies a number of houses.

Flecktimus

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 01:42:11 pm »
This is a good forum with lots of ideas on Micro Hydro electricity

http://www.navitron.org.uk/forum/

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 02:41:49 pm »
Hi and welcome!

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 07:27:11 pm »
Welcome from fife.

I notice the 4 or 5 chickens, it will end up more like 40 or 50  ;D  ;D  ;D

HappyHippy

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 07:35:38 pm »
Hello and welcome from me in South Lanarkshire  ;D
I'm still waiting for my chickens (too many foxes still around to risk it just yet  ;))
But pigs are a different matter  ;D ;D ;D They're VERY addictive though, so soon you'll be looking around wondering where you can put more  :pig: :pig: :pig:
Good luck and keep us up to date with how you're getting on.
Karen x

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 08:26:37 pm »

Hi and welcome from a fellow borderer, I have about 6 acres and the river Eye running through perhaps I should think about hydro elec. given the amount we seem to use here, I have Shetland sheep, with a few of last years ewe lambs for sale. 28 hens at last count and 17 ducks. No pigs at the moment.
Anne

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 09:21:34 pm »
Hello from another smallholder in the borders. Seems to be a "smallholder hotspot" at the moment... We are close to the Ale, but dont own any access etc and it just keeps flooding one of the fields we rent...

We have sheep (4 weeks to lambing), goats (3 weeks to kidding), about 25 hens for eggs and raise weaners over summer for meat. Wirehaired foxterrier for pet. Menagerie completed by two (human) kids of 6 and 8.

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 09:26:33 pm »

Anke you must be very close to me, I am in Reston. We have have 3 acres flooded or unuseable for months now.
Anne

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 09:55:57 pm »
Hi, we are near St Boswells, flooding only when lots of rain/snow melting, otherwise ok land for sheep (but not for cattle or horses).

sandy

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2010, 08:56:48 am »
Hello and welcome, you sound like you have some great plans s, I wonder how much electricity to can generate from the river? It would be good if you could run the whole home from it. I agree with the few chickens bit, I started of with three and now have 16, did have 17 but one got crushed under a bale of straw poor thing, I think our Duck pushed it over to lay her egg as there was the egg as evidence, anyway, welcome from Clackmannan!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2010, 07:42:08 pm »
hello and welcome from Derbyshire.  We dont have a river.... !!
Little Blue

Flecktimus

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2010, 07:49:08 pm »
Hello and welcome, you sound like you have some great plans s, I wonder how much electricity to can generate from the river? It would be good if you could run the whole home from it. I agree with the few chickens bit, I started of with three and now have 16, did have 17 but one got crushed under a bale of straw poor thing, I think our Duck pushed it over to lay her egg as there was the egg as evidence, anyway, welcome from Clackmannan!

Hi Sandy

I am hoping i can produce at least 17 Kwh per day as that is the amount of electricity i am using at the moment.Lots of obstacles to jump SEPA and planning to mention 2.

Flecktimus

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2010, 07:52:17 pm »
hello and welcome from Derbyshire.  We dont have a river.... !!

What part of Derbyshire, i have just moved back up to Scotland from Mansfield and had the pleasure of working at Shirebrook Colliery which is North East Derbyshire

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS