Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rams  (Read 5010 times)

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
Rams
« on: June 30, 2015, 10:37:03 pm »
Ok so we ve gone for a Suffolk  ram for starters, bit goofy again, whats new  :innocent: we had a ewe jump in with next doors Suffolk running with texel ewes, she lambed in feb along  a good month before the flock, the big clue was the black raddle she was sporting lol  and so we have this strapping lamb, a beauty she is, and we ve been rather taken with her, so we having the dad.  Now I know it s a bit off the wall but the ewe wasn't what I would call one of our best ewes so I look forward to seeing what he throws with our rangier stronger ewes.

Still want a charmoise though  :innocent:

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
Re: Rams
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 09:11:13 am »
Will try n get some pics today of the not so little Suzie Suffolk, n shearing pics in general, if I m let off the table at all  :thumbsup:

N some of the boy if I can as he lives two miles away in the summer at the mo x

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 10:48:43 pm »
 :wave:

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 10:52:42 pm »
these are shearlings in front/ better size pic. got some nice replacement, all looking rather shellshocked but wow relief too.   

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 07:36:46 am »
The suffolk is a super looking ewe. It's worth giving this new chap a try for sure. A ram is definatly half the flock and a good ram is sooo worth the money. Its not always easy to convince people of that when they see rams as surplus stock destined for meat.

Can you tell I have some super rams for sale this year.........?

:innocent:

Deere

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Peak District
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 09:02:43 am »
Lovely looking lamb at full stretch.

Nice lil sheep dog there too!
Pedigree Ryelands, Charolais cross Mules

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2015, 10:09:13 am »
Thank you.  Wanted a pic of her standing nice but she knew I was on to her lol.  Love that pic though, the ones behind her from last group to lamb, early April.  Most of the twins were later.  Used a younger ram, a son of my  Patch, a favourite of mine. 

We split this week, worming lams so  taking shearlings and culls out as one or two boys getting a bit fruity.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2015, 11:11:58 am »
Very smart sheep.   The flowering foxgloves might not be such a good idea though.  Although they're unlikely to eat them, they just might - highly toxic  :(
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2015, 01:13:45 pm »
theyre eveywhere here Fleecewife. digitalis isnt it from the f glove?   i hate them personally.   i do keep an eye if theyre in this area, thank you for your concern  :thumbsup: :hug:

thank you for your kind sheep comment, very pleased with this years lambs.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2015, 10:49:46 am »
Ahhh Deere, she's a pain in the proverbial at shearing time, she loves to stand under the platform and she thinks she does a good job running up and down the race yapping, the ewes ignore her, I however ended up putting her away after a while, she did my nut in lol. 

Deere

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Peak District
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2015, 12:05:25 pm »
Our terrier does much the same and always looks so pleased at the work shes helped us with.

Sheared the last of our ewes here yesterday and had a lamb constantly stood by the shearer shouting for mum. Thing is, mum was shorn 1st and grazing down the bottom of the paddock, probably glad of the peace, unlike the shearer who got a headache!
Pedigree Ryelands, Charolais cross Mules

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2015, 12:07:00 pm »
Aww perhaps she didn't recognise her mum, there were a few perplexed lambs last week, theyed be standing my they're mum sniffing em as if to say well you smell like my mum but you don't look like her hehe x

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS