Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How Do I Find a Ram?  (Read 10854 times)

cully_c

• Joined Jun 2015
  • South Lanarkshire
    • Realising the Dream
How Do I Find a Ram?
« on: June 27, 2015, 12:08:14 am »
We have 10 Shetland Sheep.  They aren't pedigree or registered in anyway.  We got them as ground clearers and to run with horses.

So, we are interested in breeding them but are drawing a blank on finding a suitable ram.  So I was hoping there may be some advice out there from others who have experienced this before. 

As they aren't pedigree then a Shetland Ram is not essential, but obviously preferred, but which breeds do people think would be suitable as possible breeding partners if no Shetland can be found?  Just so I can narrow my search a little.

We have many people around us with the larger breeds but, as they've never needed them, they haven't been much help on what smaller breeds would be ok.

And is there somewhere I can go to find "rams for stud"? Or is it very much a case of "who you know"?

Hope you can help   :D

cully_c

• Joined Jun 2015
  • South Lanarkshire
    • Realising the Dream
Re: How Do I Find a Ram?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 12:57:08 pm »
Just re-read that, when I say "not registered" I mean in a pedigree sense, they are of course tagged and registered as being on our land.

Thyme

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Machynlleth, Powys
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 01:14:01 pm »
Where are you located?

If you want a Shetland ram, you can look on the breed society website for the Area Representative to contact, and they will help you find one.  http://www.shetland-sheep.org.uk/page.php?Plv=2&P1=5&P2=10&P3=

If you're near mid-Wales, I'll happily sell you a tup lamb ;D
Shetland sheep, Copper Marans chickens, Miniature Silver Appleyard ducks, and ginger cats.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 01:25:24 pm »
We'll have Southdown rams and ram lambs for hire and sale this Autumn if you're near the Welsh Marches (that said, someone travelled from  Derbyshire to hire one last year).  They'll give sturdy lambs, very unlikely to have lambing problems and a good carcase.  If you don't mind lambing after Easter we'll have a two year old Badger Face Welsh Mountain (Torddu) that will be for sale as we can't use him on his own daughters next year.

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2015, 01:39:56 pm »
Yep, let us know where you are - lots of us on here have shetlands, so someone will be able to help you, or point you in the direction of someone who can.   

cully_c

• Joined Jun 2015
  • South Lanarkshire
    • Realising the Dream
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2015, 01:42:42 pm »
Just worked out how to add location to my name :) as you can see we're in South Lanarkshire!

I had a look on the Shetland Sheep website and have to be honest felt a bit intimidated lol particularly as ours aren't officially pedigree.  But you think that won't be a problem?

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2015, 01:43:56 pm »
OK, being dim, just noticed you are South Lanarkshire, don't know how I missed that before.  If you want to come and see ours you'd be welcome, and we also have cheviots which make an excellent cross with shetlands,  but I wouldn't be surprised if there is someone even closer. Or, go to the shetland sale at Lanark Mart at the end of August, and you'll have lots to choose from.

cully_c

• Joined Jun 2015
  • South Lanarkshire
    • Realising the Dream
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2015, 01:52:21 pm »
It's ok, I only just added the location, you're not going mad!  :)

Is it worth buying a ram? We'd always assumed we would be better just hiring as we needed him? :)

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2015, 02:04:54 pm »
Buy one use him eat him unless your looking to keep longer term, Shetland tups aren't hugely expensive. (mine was champion lamb at last year's Sss show and sale cost me 50 but he's a big easy to handle baby so he worked last year and will do this year, then he'll be sold swapped as after 18 months I won't be able to convince the kids to eat him... If I don't get an easy swap I'll go onto the buy use eat model so I don't have a tup around all year to make field management easier...

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2015, 02:29:46 pm »
Yes, agree with Bloomer - buy, use, eat.  Some people will hire out tups, but not many due to the biosecurity risks of them going onto someone else's farm then coming home potentially carrying disease.

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2015, 03:38:41 pm »
Shetland and hebridean rare breed sale at end if august at lanark mart end of august - see events section there will be plenty to pick from
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 03:41:30 pm by Big Light »

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2015, 03:47:15 pm »
Hi  :wave: I'm in South Lanarkshire too.  There are lots of Shetlands around, and many people do as I do and leave their lambs entire to see if they are worth registering, so there are entire unreg tup lambs available.
Best is to buy a lamb, use him on your ewes, then eat, as people are saying.  Depending on whereabouts in SL you are, it being a big place, I can think of several breeders who maybe able to help.
I have some HebXShets this year - it's a good cross to try.
I don't see the point of buying a reg tup, unless you are thinking of changing your ewes for reg.  It's quite a palaver to register a Shetland tup and get him approved, so not worth it for unreg ewes.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

cully_c

• Joined Jun 2015
  • South Lanarkshire
    • Realising the Dream
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2015, 03:50:00 pm »
Thanks for all the info!

We had considered the eating option with some of our 'spares' :)

Buying a ram, for buy use eat, is there anything I should be looking for? Age etc? And any hints on the sort of price I should expect to pay?

On a slightly different note. Eating them. How do I go about getting them dispatched and prepared?  I've found an abattoir at Wishaw and they might be suitable but are abattoirs the way to go or is there some better way? And again, what sort of prices are we looking at?

cully_c

• Joined Jun 2015
  • South Lanarkshire
    • Realising the Dream
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2015, 03:53:02 pm »
Hi  :wave: I'm in South Lanarkshire too.  There are lots of Shetlands around, and many people do as I do and leave their lambs entire to see if they are worth registering, so there are entire unreg tup lambs available.
Best is to buy a lamb, use him on your ewes, then eat, as people are saying.  Depending on whereabouts in SL you are, it being a big place, I can think of several breeders who maybe able to help.
I have some HebXShets this year - it's a good cross to try.
I don't see the point of buying a reg tup, unless you are thinking of changing your ewes for reg.  It's quite a palaver to register a Shetland tup and get him approved, so not worth it for unreg ewes.

:wave:
Hello!
We are around Larkhall, do you know where I am?
Any help would be welcomed.  I am certainly not concerned about whether he is registered or not so if there was an unreg. tup somewhere we'd be interested!

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2015, 04:05:27 pm »
Wishaw gets a good right up from many on here.

An unregistered lamb 6 months old should be 30-50 quid depends if your fussy on colour etc (kind of depends if you want particular colour babies, which also depends onyour ewe colours)

If you aren't fussed about when your lambs are born run him with your girls right through till this time next year, eat him you would expect up to 20kg oh meat (bone in).

Obviously you could send away sooner but less meat.

Shetlands being kept solely for meat go at 16-18months. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS