Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: shed starts tomorrow  (Read 7985 times)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
shed starts tomorrow
« on: February 28, 2010, 07:44:10 pm »
im taken on what will be the biggest challenge yet of me smallholding:
making a shed for milly and molly me goats.
i got a overall idea(design) in me head, now if it comes to pass, that is another thing!
i got hundreds of 6inch nails and what have you so i'll be driving them home hoping all stands up.
as said ive given me self by the end of week to complete it, time if need to replan an so on!
and all those cups of tea is well.
wish me luck please as i take tools and all sorts ot timber in hand and embark on this great mission ;)
Langdon ;)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: shed starts tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 08:41:18 pm »
You are very brave, and hard working!  I'm a lazy old lady and bought a garden shed from Argos and adapted for my chooks.  I've done that before for a puppy kennel, we lined it andwith mdf and put polystyrene insulation boards in the middle.  It was SOOO warm and cosy when I went in to clean it out - and plenty of head room too.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 11:36:46 pm »
Show us a pic when its done!!  Then you can come here and build me some too for my large goat herd ......!!!!

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 07:33:30 pm »
believe you me i dont think i will have many people requesting one!!!
im still working on my skills when it comes to building things.
the plans allready changed once today, i was going to have four upright post nailed onto
to pallets which were going to be held together with a length of timber behind them, which would have given the
structure. but then i decided to dig four holes and concrete the posts given a more solid structure.
thats as far as i got today!!! i knew i needed a week as things dont allways go according to plan. :D
Langdon ;)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 09:30:42 pm »
I think we need 'work in progress' photos!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 10:01:09 pm »
What are the goats living in until their shed is built?

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 08:49:43 am »
Hey up langdon its tomorrow.Have you got your box of annular ring nails and the Estwing poised ready? Good luck I hope you have a nice sharp saw there is now't worse than a dull one ??? ;D ;D Its beautiful and sunny here in Gy just like yesterday:farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 11:45:36 am »
they have a lovely converted horse stable with mineral lick hay rack etc.
where they roam about during the day is abit away so thats why i thought a day shelter would be nice for
them
Langdon ;)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 09:08:07 am »
Did you manage to build the shed yet Langdon?  I'm after ideas to get hubby onto a similar project! I'm really keen to get goats but we've no shelter/shed at all  :(
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2010, 05:10:51 pm »
ya its finished as i said you wont see it in any farm catalouge!!
but i made sure its safe for them.
its simply four upright tree posts concreted in the ground.
coggragated sheets nailed on top for roof, and again same sheet nailed on the front for protection
against harsh weather.
on the inside i have nailed sheep wire against the upright posts and this is where i put hay in for them
to munch on. the sheep wire is nailed a couple of inches down from the top to get the hay in
and is only comes half way down, with a piece of wood running across to stop the hay from falling out.
i also put a mineral lick nailed on one of the post.
straw down for a nice bedding and the rest is history.
im not really talented when it comes to d.i.y. but it is a simple shelter, but works wonderfully.
i have often sat in there with them as they munched happily on the hay, at times i have nearly
have fallen asleep too, as listening to them munching away is so theraputic :D :goat:
Langdon ;)

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2010, 05:30:24 pm »
Sounds good Langdon what more could they wish for than a good happy munch and a drink to wash it down ;D :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2010, 08:02:37 am »
Brilliant! well done you  :)  now to crack the whip at hubby to help me make one - do you think if I tell him how much they are to buy brand new he might help me  ;D
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2010, 10:03:40 am »
oh yes!!!!!
if you buy the country smallholding mag sit down with a cuppa at the table with phone in one hand
and your bank card in the other, when he sees you looking at the sheds/shelters, show him the prices and then
let him read the post i have sent you!!!!

let me know what happens ;) :goat:
Langdon ;)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2010, 11:43:12 am »
 ;D  I've done it. with HIS card in my hand and guess what? he's picked the spot in the field where he is going to build the shed.  :goat:  :goat:  ;D

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2010, 09:43:17 pm »
well done you ;)
sorry i didnt send photo im silly when it comes to puting photo's on this site
and am lazy when it comes to it is well.
keep me in touch how the project goes on.
what goats have you?
we have two, milly toggie/ anglio nubian
molly sannen
we also have three british saddlebacks pigs which one will be going to slaughter next month MMMMMMMMMM
and we have nine chucks.
well thats us, cant wait to hear how ye get on!!!!
langdon
Langdon ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS