Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: BEST BREED TO START WITH  (Read 6905 times)

karmahill

• Joined Feb 2010
BEST BREED TO START WITH
« on: February 27, 2010, 08:38:19 pm »
HI, LOOKING AT GETTING SOME   :sheep:. WHAT WOULD BE THE BEST BREED TO START WITH. SOMEONE SAID THAT SOUTH DOWNS ARE GOOD BUT I WELCOME ADVICE. SHOULD I GET A COUPLE OF EWES IN LAMB OR JUST GET LAMBS. ALSO ANYONE IN NORFOLK WHO BREEDS OR CAN OFFER HELP. THANKS :farmer:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: BEST BREED TO START WITH
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 09:05:48 pm »
Chose one you like the look of and that is local to your area. You might want to wait and buy some store lambs (or talk to a farmer directly and buy some lambs from him after they are weaned). If you make sure they have the right EID tag in, you can then decide if you like sheep enough and breed from then a year later (and eat any wethers that come with the pack). Thats how we started, and it meant that we had time to learn all the general management and then decide to breed. Also gave me time to go on lambing course, do the clipping and deal with flystrike, vaccinations etc etc

pankie

• Joined May 2009
  • Yarnfield, Staffs
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 09:11:29 pm »
Hi all depends on how many you want. If on a small scale ie 6 I find ( after keeping numerous different breeds ) self shedding bredds to be the best, due to the expense of shearing a small flock. I have stuck to Wiltshirre horns or easycare sheep, both of which give great meat, & self shed their fleece. Hope this is of use to you.

Elissian

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 09:28:19 pm »
I agree with Pankie. I got my flock of Wilts Horn by accident rather than choice and I'm so glad I did. They don't need shearing and my first lambing was brilliant. No losses and no problems with mothering. The only downside might be that they are big sheep so if you're small then you might find them hard to turn over. They have a very good breed society so you could look them up on the web and find a breeder in your area.
Good luck Helen

charlie

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 10:00:37 pm »
herdwicks are perfect to start with

Barcud

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 09:29:59 am »
I think everyone will recommend their own breed, but I would advise getting some 3 year old in lamb ewes. They'll have done it all before when it comes to lambing, you won't have the hassle of a ram, and give you a chance to get some experience. I'd also buy local if you can, through one of the breed societies, as you are likley to get some help and support.
Mike

Red Kite

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 03:43:55 pm »
Hello and sorry I've not posted for ages, it's been hectic here!

I've seen an advert for 3 wiltshire horn ewes, would it be unfair to keep such a small number?

Jan

pankie

• Joined May 2009
  • Yarnfield, Staffs
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 06:53:57 pm »
No Jan they will be fine.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 07:06:32 pm »
Everyone will tell you something different as all have preference for their own breed.....I have kept lots of different breeds over 30 years and can say with confidence.....

Start by deciding if you want meat AND wool.....some of us really like wool ;D and can make lots of things from it!

Take a look once decided at the fences on your fields.....are they very good and strong or a bit you know what ;)

Then try a few lambs for the freezer and see if you actually like sheep!

Then decide!

Oh and get as much experience with other peoples flocks as you can in the area!

A lot of stress and heartache, not to mention welfare issues will be avoided like this!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

karmahill

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2010, 07:55:48 pm »
thank you all so much for the information. only looking at getting two or three  :sheep: but just want to make sure i do it right. i will be sure to return as i have many questions about the whole smallholding way of life. just getting started. ;D thanks again

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2010, 08:44:36 pm »
If you are in Norfolk, how about norfolk horns? Local breeds should thrive in the locality they were bred for. They are rare, but VERY smart sheep I think.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

karmahill

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2010, 09:21:41 pm »
wow, what a nice looking  :sheep:.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 03:24:18 am »
Hiya we very new to sheep, welsh ponies have always figured but never sheep.We have inherited a mixed breed flock, mostly TexelxLleyn with a small contingent of show jumping Welsh mountains, enjoying learning about all things sheep shaped.   ;D Yeah fences, big thing, unless you want open plan living sheep, like we did  ::)  Speak to local people, go see at agri shows, the Royal welsh is particularly strong in having lots of breed stands available to go ask questions, with helpful people.  There s also a small holder s festival on the showgound at builth in may too :D  Think we may be going :D

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2010, 08:53:06 am »
The Smallholder Festival in Wales is brilliant. We went lasy year and are planning to go again this time round. Plan for both days though as there is a lot to see.

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2010, 03:47:28 pm »
Smallholder's Festival is our annual holiday - we even take some sheep with us so we don't get homesick!
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS